How to remove pool cover--fan fold or how?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 36 x 18, vinyl liner

Postby corsara » Thu 06 May, 2010 14:35

Hi, new pool owner here, and it's time to open the pool. It is an inground 18 x 36 pool. I cleaned all leaves and pumped all water out, also filled up the level of the water under the cover. This evening is "cover removal" time, a friend will help me.

I am confused though: what is the best way to remove the cover? Start from one end and fan-fold small pieces, or how? Maybe fold the whole cover in half, then that half in half, etc..? I want to minimize the amount of dirt and water from the top, which will go in the pool (there is some on the cover, also a little bit of water here and there, which I couldn't remove, but it's not a lot).

Please give me some advice! Thank you in advance!

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 15:05

corsara wrote:Hi, new pool owner here, and it's time to open the pool. It is an inground 18 x 36 pool. I cleaned all leaves and pumped all water out, also filled up the level of the water under the cover. This evening is "cover removal" time, a friend will help me.

I am confused though: what is the best way to remove the cover? Start from one end and fan-fold small pieces, or how? Maybe fold the whole cover in half, then that half in half, etc..? I want to minimize the amount of dirt and water from the top, which will go in the pool (there is some on the cover, also a little bit of water here and there, which I couldn't remove, but it's not a lot).

Please give me some advice! Thank you in advance!

Definetely fan fold. Unhook all springs except at the corners. Put the grommets down immediately so you don't start tripping over them come cover removal time. Then you and your friend stand on opposite sides of one end of the pool. Unhook the springs at those corners and hold one corner each. Fold back in little sections at a time. Roll up when done and it will fit nicely in the bag.

If it does get wet in the process, you must let dry out in sun before you put it away though.
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Thu 06 May, 2010 15:10

Thanks a lot for the advice! No springs but waterbags, but I get the point. Wish me luck fan-folding it later today :)
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 15:17

Waterbags ok. Do you have any children? If so I would recommend ordering a cover with springs next season. Peace of mind you know
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Thu 06 May, 2010 15:19

Xclusive wrote:Waterbags ok. Do you have any children? If so I would recommend ordering a cover with springs next season. Peace of mind you know

Yes, I have 5 year old girl. However, I live in Canada and by law, there is a 7 feet fence around the pool, the door stays locked all winter (and summer unless swim time). A cover with springs would definitely be nice despite the fence.

Thanks!
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 15:25

Oh believe me here in NY the laws call for fencing the perimeter too. But I like safety in layers. Good luck later.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”