pump pressure

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
wilco

pump pressure

Postby wilco » Mon 24 May, 2010 16:26

We are first time pool owners. The pool is 40x20 vinyl liner with a sta Rite System 3 filter, Hayward Super 2 Pump Aqua Heat heat pump, paramount cleaning system. We had a local pool company come in and open the pool for us 1 week ago and found some issues.

1- They found some liner delamination and patched some seams-this seems to be fine
2-We discovered a very large amount of algae and began brushing this
3- On filter start up the pressure starts at about 22 and very quickly (2-4 hours) ends up around 30

We have added powdered shock and I have been brushing the algae. I also have been cleaning the cartridges when the pressure gets to 32

My questions are
1 How often should I be cleaning the cartridges (at a certain pressure )
2 What is the safe pressure for the pump to get to
3 Are these issues normal
4 Should I be adding other chemicals at this point

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

pump pressure

Postby mas985 » Mon 24 May, 2010 19:09

One of the downsides of cartridge filters is that they can be a pain if you are cleaning up an algae bloom. You will need to continue to add chlorine shock until the chlorine level holds overnight. Keep the FC at 40% of the CYA level. This will ensure that you have completely killed the algae. The filter will continue to clog during this period and you will need to keep it clean. 8 PSI rise is about as high as you want to let it go. Anything higher that 30 PSI will slow down the flow rate so much it won't be doing much good. If you are vacuuming, you might vacuum to waste so that you are not clogging up the filters.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
wilco
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40x20
Hayward pump
Sta rite Filter
Paramount System
Aqua Heat Heat Pump

pump pressure

Postby wilco » Tue 25 May, 2010 08:00

Thanks mas. I have ordered a test kit and will test as soon as I receive it. The filter pressure seems to rise in 2-3 hours is this normal? Would either having the filters cleaned professionally or purchasing new ones ( not a great option due to cost) be a good idea?
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

pump pressure

Postby mas985 » Tue 25 May, 2010 09:49

The pressure will rise quickly if there is still a lot of algae in the pool so I don't think new filters would help much. This won't change until you get rid of the algae.
Mark
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
wilco
I'm new here
I'm new here
Hayward pump
Sta rite Filter
Paramount System
Aqua Heat Heat Pump

pump pressure

Postby wilco » Fri 28 May, 2010 16:50

Update

Just got the Test Kit here are the numbers

FC-7.5
CC-1
TC-8.5
PH-7
T/A-150
CYA- Under 20

I have been cleaning the filters about every 3-4 hours as the pressure reaches 30. Brushing the pool regularly and running the filter as much as possible (we work alot so as it gets close to 30 I have to shut it off as I cannot get home to check it) For the first time today I saw the bottom of the deep middle so I guess thats progress. Just seems to be taking a long time.

Any additional advice?

Thanks
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

pump pressure

Postby mas985 » Fri 28 May, 2010 17:37

The important thing now is to keep at it as it may take some time to get rid of. But with the CC of 1 ppm, you might consider bumping up the FC to 10 ppm might help some especially at night.
Mark
wilco
I'm new here
I'm new here
Hayward pump
Sta rite Filter
Paramount System
Aqua Heat Heat Pump

pump pressure

Postby wilco » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 20:47

Update

Speny every free minute of Memorial Day Weekend on the Pool

Kept FC level at 9-12 all weekend testing every hour
PH is 7.5
TA is 110
Cya still unmeasurable
Brushed and then brushed and when I was done brushing I brushed somemore
Cleaned filter cartridges at least 25 times
Only used Bleach so far

So I think I did it ( knock on wood ) Came home tonight to a very clear pool with only a few spot on the bottom and those turn to a cloud when you touch them with the brush.

so now the question

Because of the frequent cartridge cleaning I was not able to get the CYA level up so should I let the chlorine level come down and start to add stabilizer now that the filter will actually run for more than 1-2 hours?
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

pump pressure

Postby mas985 » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 14:27

Stabilizer can take up to a week to dissolve so if you add it, do so in a sock in front of a return so as not to trap it in the filter. That way you can continue to clean the filter and not lose any CYA.

Sounds like you are making good progress.
Mark

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”