Vacuum my swamp water?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Kurt
I'm new here
I'm new here

Vacuum my swamp water?

Postby Kurt » Tue 13 Jun, 2006 16:30

After buying my new house, which came with a pool, I decided I needed some extra work and let some yucky stuff from on top of the tarp into the pool. I have cleaned the big stuff out with the net and am currently filling the pool and figure I need to vacuum the rest of the sediment out of the bottom. I have a Jacuzzi pump with a sand filter. There are a few settings on the filter, they are : Rinse, Backwash, Waste, Filter, Winterize, Drain, and Whirlpool. My question is, what setting do I put it on when vacuuming out the rest of the crud? I am assuming one of three obvious, waste filter or drain? Thanx in advance! :D

Kurt:D
Fillos

Postby Fillos » Wed 14 Jun, 2006 14:10

I just went through exactly the same thing. You can vacum to filter, and backwash frequently, or to "save the sand" but not the water, and also because you get better suction, you can vacum straight to backwash, and then rinse when you are done. The backwash will pump the water and debris straight to the outlet. You will lose water, but the suction is better, and the debris doesn't get caught in the sand filter. I should also note that you should wait until your opening kit has forced the sediment to the bottom of the pool - don't bother vacuming while the sediment is still floating in the water.

HTH,

Fillos
Kurt
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kurt » Wed 14 Jun, 2006 15:19

Thanx Fillos :D
Kurt
I'm new here
I'm new here

looking good!

Postby Kurt » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:40

I am pleased to report that although I didn't wait to add any chemicals what so ever (just bought this house and straped for cash), I have been cleaning and running my filter 24/7 and my pool is looking awsome!!! almost crystal clear with a slight greenish hue. My next feat is to learn some chemistry and get to swimming! :D

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”