Shopping for a pool, what to get?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28' doughboy w/ dish

Postby naturegirl » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 15:37

We're in the market for a pool. It will definitely be above ground, professionally installed, at least 30'. We have so many questions about all of our options.

Should we get a cartridge or sand filter? We live in the country and have well water. It's clean well water. A salesman told us that a sand filter isn't a good option because of the need to backwash the filter. Is that true?

I went in thinking that I wanted a salt water system because I have heard from a friend that they're the way to go and make pool maintenance so much easier. The sales guy basically told us that it only eliminates the need to add chlorine and that he wasn't all that impressed by them. He was really pushing for a pool frog mineral system. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with either and want to share your opinion?

We're also really struggling with how to heat the pool. We already have an outdoor boiler with enough capacity to tie into. We also have propane and can go that way. Wood is free and propane costs money, but we're not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are of either system.

If there is anything else I should know about before we buy, please give me some advice. I really don't want to rush into anything and regret our decisions.

Oh, our total purchase price is budgeted at about $10,000 and I really don't want to go over that by much.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 00:17

With your budget being $10,000. Is there any main reason you don't want an IGP? Many builders in today's economy will build a pool similar in size for around that figure and most include all the equipment. Also, a pre-fab fiberglass pool installed will also be around that. Regarding equipment...

Filters:
"Backwashing" is not as bad as the salesman may have made it sound. In all honesty, each filter has advantages/disadvantages...

Cartridge - Reqiures no backwashing, have to completely take apart to clean filter, replacement is more often, filters the least microns (smaller particles pass right through).

Sand - Requires backwashing, initial expense regarding sand can be high, second best filtering microns (scoop of D.E. powder can make this even better).

D.E. - Requires backwashing, D.E. or perlite is rather inexpensive, best filtering quality (filters microns small enough to clean red blood cells), recommended filter****

pool filters

Pumps:

Depending on what size filter, accessories, "run" to/from the pool, returns, etc...this may differ. Usually, a 1hp pump will suffice for your size pool.

pool pumps

Heater:

If you have a propane tank already installed into the ground of your home, Propane is the recommended way to go. The Hayward H-Series heater is the most inexpensive, yet proven reliable way to go. you can pick up a 250,000 BTU for $1600

hayward gas heater

Sanitation:

All sanitation systems work great, whether you use chlorine, mineral, or salt. If you are less than willing to constantly be watching your chlorine levels, salt systems are the way to go as they practically monitor & correct themselves! If you don't mind testing, pouring, measuring, etc...then chlorine feeders/liquid chemicals will work just fine. A salt system is a little pricey upfront, however, over time, it will infact save you time, and money over the cost of chemicals as all your doing is pouring a $7 bag of salt maybe once a swim season (if even needed). Mineral systems do in fact work, however, you will still be constantly shocking the pool or adding other supplemental chemicals more often than not. Most salt systems out on the market work great, however, we find the SGS or the hayward goldline systems to work the greatest!

chemical feeders

Cleaning:

If you do not like manually vacuuming a pool, an automatic pool cleaner may be the route to take. When choosing the right pool cleaner, keep in mind that looks aren't always the best way to decide. There are several styles of cleaners: Random Pattern, Programmed and Robotic. Also, the three "hookups" are suction, electrical and pressure.

Random patter are the type that have a diaphragm and rubber disc, Programmed are the "nagivator" type style. Both will work great in your pool!

pool cleaners

Timer:

Controls the system running (on/off) at specific times.

remember, owning a pool isn't as easy as placing one in the ground, then forgetting about it! You will regularly be brusing, vacuuming, filling, skimming, and scrubbing!

If you need any more assistance, please feel free to let us know!
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby naturegirl » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 08:55

We ordered the pool yesterday. We decided to go with a 52" 28' doughboy. The model is called Silver Lake. My husband is 6'3" so he really wanted to go with the deep end. We also opted to get a sand filter and not to do a SWG or a mineral system. We'll also be using our Central Boiler as the heat source.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 17:43

SWG can always be added in later. Mineral systems are mostly a money maker for the seller and without pH monitoring they (mineral-Nature 2 Pool Frog, etc) are what causes blonds to have their hair go 'green' (and not chlorine as is sometimes reported).

Sand filters do require backwashing just like DE, but most people think they are the easiest to maintain even if they do the least amount of filtering (DE 3 to 5 microns; cartridges around 10 microns; and sand around 30 microns). But to be honest the only time anybody I know has ever noticed a difference is back-to-back comparisons with the pool light on at night. I use a cartridge due to local water conditions and pricing, but if I didn't have those concerns I'd have a sand filter myself.

If you think you might like the SWG pool 'feel' without the up front expense, you can go ahead and add salt to bring the pool up to around 2000ppm. You might also want to look into using boric acid/borax (yes the 20 mule team thing). This improves the water's sparkle, and is a mild algaecide. Shouldn't use borax if you will have dogs that use the pool for a water dish.

A lot of pool heaters run at 400,000BTUs, so I would suggest you think seriously about a pool solar cover to help with heat.
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby naturegirl » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 19:30

lbridges wrote:SWG can always be added in later.

Exactly my thoughts.

lbridges wrote:If you think you might like the SWG pool 'feel' without the up front expense, you can go ahead and add salt to bring the pool up to around 2000ppm. You might also want to look into using boric acid/borax (yes the 20 mule team thing). This improves the water's sparkle, and is a mild algaecide.

The pool installer strongly recommended this as well.

lbridges wrote:A lot of pool heaters run at 400,000BTUs, so I would suggest you think seriously about a pool solar cover to help with heat.

Yes, we are absolutely getting a solar cover.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 20:15

sounds like you are on your way to fun...
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby naturegirl » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 21:49

lbridges wrote:sounds like you are on your way to fun...

I really hope so. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and every morning our 4 year old runs to the window to see if the pool is here yet. I hope it lives up to his expectations!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby lbridges » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 15:01

Young'ns huh - they will have fun

(my "baby" is 22 now and a student at the U of Florida).

Here a couple of links from my pool builder's site about teaching kids to swim (unless yours already know).

http://www.icpoolspa.com/swimsafeinfantcourses.html
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 01:38

We are professional pool designers, builders and installers. Not sure though of where you are located, for a free pool design consultation

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”