algea stain on vinyl

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jua5mon5

algea stain on vinyl

Postby jua5mon5 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 23:00

Hi. I just recently took over the maintenance on my vinyl inground pool. The vinyl had turned green with algea, and I shocked it by increasing the chlorine level. I use granulated chlorine. My Vinyl has developed what I call algea stains all around it. I can not get rid of the stains. I run the pump about four or five hours daily. When the chlorine level starts to drop algea starts to grow on the stains. I do not know what to do. It has been suggested that I use liquid chlorine, and not to use liquid chlorine. To alternate between granulated chlorine, and liquid chlorine. I have been adviced that I have poor circulation in the pool, but my pump/filter are fairly new, and that there are dead spots in the pool. That I need to run the pump longer also. Any other advice is welcome at this time if you can help me. Thanks.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

algea stain on vinyl

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 00:37

jua5mon5 wrote:Hi. I just recently took over the maintenance on my vinyl inground pool. The vinyl had turned green with algea, and I shocked it by increasing the chlorine level. I use granulated chlorine. My Vinyl has developed what I call algea stains all around it. I can not get rid of the stains. I run the pump about four or five hours daily. When the chlorine level starts to drop algea starts to grow on the stains. I do not know what to do. It has been suggested that I use liquid chlorine, and not to use liquid chlorine. To alternate between granulated chlorine, and liquid chlorine. I have been adviced that I have poor circulation in the pool, but my pump/filter are fairly new, and that there are dead spots in the pool. That I need to run the pump longer also. Any other advice is welcome at this time if you can help me. Thanks.

The best thing to do in order to minimize these "dead spots" is to point the jets at a 45º downward angle and create a whirlpool. Regarding the stains, have you tried brushing them off? You should be brushing your pool about every week or so along with vacuuming. The chlorine will not effectively kill the algae until it is removed from the surface it is clinging to (protected on the back side). Yes, it is completely safe to use liquid chlorine, as well as trichlor tablets in a floater or feeder. You can even use "shock" packets. It is, however, recommended to alternate from liquid to tablets as your CYA will raise every time you use tabs. Regarding pump run time, approx. 8 hours is the min. to turnover enough water in order to achieve good filtration.
jua5mon5

algea stain on vinyl

Postby jua5mon5 » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 21:46

Hi. Thank You for the great information. :D
mms

algea stain on vinyl

Postby mms » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 08:23

Great Information on converting pools to saline

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”