Empty Pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Sean
I'm new here
I'm new here

Empty Pool

Postby Sean » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 14:32

Hi,

I am looking at buying a house with a pool. The problem is that the house has been vacated for over 1000 days. As far as I know this pool has been sitting empty the entire time. It looks to be a plaster pool but I am unsure of its exact construction. I didn't see any flaws in my brief visit. What I am wondering is what will likely have to be done to get this pool up and running again? The previous owners took all the filter/pump/heater with them. Thanks for any help or insight.

dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Empty Pool

Postby dalehileman » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 17:04

Sean you might consider a variable-flow (vf) pump. Advantage of slow flow is disproportionally smaller electric bill but one possible disadvantage is that slower surface flow might not carry off flotsam to the skimmer though at increased power consumption of course you can always run it at high speed once in a while

But if you're willing to skim manually you might consider a simple one-speed slow pump (say 200 w) thereby saving over one boasting multiple speeds and complex electronic control while doubtless it would prove more reliable

We like our sand filter but especially if you elect vf consider a sweep using separate booster pump as sand might put up more resistance than a paper cartridge for instance though of course it significantly ups your electric bill

But in any case the sweep sharing your main pump and depending on suction with tubing emerging from skimmer outlet seems awkward and hokey

So you should get some more opinions
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Empty Pool

Postby swimfit » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:33

Like the above mentioned, variable-flow pump will be a good way for you. Use a cartridge type filter for the swimming pool, it has a lot of advantages. Please refer here: Clean cartridge type swimming pool filter
Phoenix pool service

Empty Pool

Postby Phoenix pool service » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 17:07

Plaster is more then likely ruined
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Empty Pool

Postby dalehileman » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 13:32

Thank you Fit for your support in this macrocosm of reciprocal animosity

For what it's worth, which might not be much, we use a sand filter which I find perfectly satisfactory in spite of the resistance it offers and which our Friendly Local Bills Pool & Spa avers to be a preferable sort
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Empty Pool

Postby swimfit » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 00:30

It truely is a macrocosm of one such! :-)

I'm hoping Sean has been able to address his concerns the right manner with professional assistance.
lisaa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Empty Pool

Postby lisaa » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:13

hey check these articles covers all areas of your problem http://swimming.about.com/lr/pool_desig ... /279483/1/

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”