miscellaneous construction techniques.
steve w
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: building one

New Build above grade jacuzzi and soaking pool

Postby steve w » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 07:46

Hello All-

First post from someone who know very little about pools and is getting ready to build one.

I'm preparing to build an ABOVE GRADE jacuzzi and small soaking pool, 6-8 person jacuzzi and 10' diameter 18" deep soaking pool, with a below grade cistern to hold the water when not is use

This is in a very warm climate in Mexico, for a second home that will have approximately 3 months of use a year

Reasons for above grade:

Views are a consideration, but the main reason is to have a below grade cistern so the pool/jacuzzi can be emptied (gravity) when not in use.

My thought is to minimize maintainence, chemicals use, electricity use and save water which is only available 6 hours 2 days a week. Also a pressure tank will be connected to the cistern for landscaping irrigation when not is use, which eliminates a salt water system

I have roughed out volumes at about 15,000 liters.

What I really looking for is find the "holes" in the plan I have laid out

Questions:

If properly engineered, what are the potential problems with the above grade jacuzzi and soaking pool ?

Any problems with the re-use of the stored water other than standard re-starting of filling the pool ?

Am I out of my mind or does this concept make any sense ?

Thank in Advance for your consideration.

Best,

Steve w

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New Build above grade jacuzzi and soaking pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 18:03

Hi Steve
I can't see any problems If properly engineered
You would need to keep your stored water balanced and chlorinated to prevent contamination and save time when you need to use it, although you shouldn't have an algae problem unless you let it get out of hand when it's at the surface
It might make sense to make the storage cistern bigger to allow for backwashing and top up if your water supply is intermittent
steve w
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: building one

Re: New Build above grade jacuzzi and soaking pool

Postby steve w » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 19:54

Dennis:

Thank you for the response, on the second issue, stored water, I'm considering using a UV disinfection unit which would be inline during normal operation and also during the refill. From what i understand when using UV, balancing is easier to maintain and chlorination levels are significantly minimized. However your suggestion of balancing and chlorinating when emptied in to the cistern makes great sense.

I have a domestic water cistern (non-potable) as well an could use that to top off. The source water for all is non-potable, so the pool cistern could also be used as a domestic back up or reserve source as well. All drinking water is bottled

I'm trying to tick as many boxes as I can with this design

1. minimize chemicals
2. minimize maintenance
3. minimize electric
4. save water
5. have multiple uses for the water, Pool, irrigation, domestic back up.
6. ability to grave yard the system quickly, gravity to cistern.

I would love to add a few more items to my list above if additional utility could be obtained, I'm open to anything !

Thank you again for your response.

Best,

Steve w

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”