Blue Haven Pools of Indianapolis: Building Our Pool

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
MCGREW
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon pool with 500 gallon spa. Construction began 7 months ago, Salt Water Pool, Pentair DE filter, suntouch program

Postby MCGREW » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 22:06

Sorry to hear of your experience with BHP. We started with them in July, canceled our contract and went with a local builder. Seven months later WE are still trying to figure out why certain things don't work, had the spa replastered three times, etc. and we live in Texas. Hope you get to enjoy your new pool.

picasamayte

Postby picasamayte » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 09:52

I built a pool with Blue Haven TN. I have problems from the beginning.
They started building on June 07 and finish at the end of November 07. The have to redo the stamped concrete around the pool because the first time was not made right.(after my husband and I discussed and handled the problem directly with the subcontractor)
Then, we noticed that we were loosing water and finally we found a crack on the shell, emptied the pool and fixed it (after several days of discussion) but we always had problems with the pump making terrible noises that even the neighbors complaint about it. It looses pressure all the time. The changed the Hayward motor and replaced (I found today that they replaced it with something else so Hayward do not cover their warranty). They also installed the ozonator on the wrong place making the filter filling with air. We still have a lot of problems...to many to describe. Now the office in Knoxville is close and Blue Haven National do not want to be responsible for the problem.
I call the 1-800 customer service and Ms. Ellen which number is 972-316-8662 provided me with the worst customer service I have to deal in my life, treat it me like crap. Said that it is not their problem, she does not want me to call her anymore or give me any number or names or other people in Blue Haven that can help me to solve all this problems. I spent $70,000 on my pool to be treated poorly and they washed their hands simple like that. Well, I built my pool with them base on their #1 ranking, their name and their reputation (that's what I thought them). I also thought that I will be back up with a national company in a case like this. What a mistake!!. PLEASE DO NOT BUILD A POOL WITH THIS PEOPLE. Take my word for it!! BLUE HAVEN IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD.

There also a class action against Blue Haven: Blue Haven's representations that the consumer was contracting with an experienced, reputable, dependable and long-standing company were false and/or misleading. The complaint further alleges that Blue Haven licenses its brand name to pool contractors without requiring them to construct pools to minimum standards.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

The Final Straw....

Postby juno1996 » Sun 24 May, 2009 10:23

With Summer approaching, I turned on the water valve to our in-ground irrigation system to discover that when BHP's crew relocated my fence last September (after the irrigation had been shut off for the winter) they ended up cutting through main irrigation line. Instead of knocking on our door and telling us what happened, the crew simply removed the broken piece (which was not in the hole, dug the rest of the hole for the fence post, and filled it in with concrete. Had I known it happened, I would have understood that it was simply an unfortunate accident and repaired it myself - I would have taken care of installing the post as well. But because they didn't say a word, it became a much, much bigger project (taking up part of a walkway, removing a shrub, etc.)

Oh, and in the last month, I've spent $605 on our 11-month old Coverstar pool cover when one of the ropes broke (the cover is a nice idea but incredibly expensive to maintain) , our coping has lifted up near the shallow end and 2 tile have fallen off. There's not much else to say at this point.

It's no surprise they are raked through the coals on http://www.Angieslist.com
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 19:01

The problems with our pool have gotten worse...much worse. We'll be filing a lawsuit against Blue Haven Pools in Boone County soon. They are failing to honor the 2-year warranty on my pool's coping and tile.

Here's a recent picture of our Blue Haven Pool after being opened for a year...

http://cid-af9adea4a06b12db.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/2009%20Pool/img%7C_1106.jpg

Now that I've seen their work quality, I wouldn't trust BHP to build me a bird bath. If you are even remotely considering a pool from Blue Haven of Indianapolis, please contact me so I can help you with your decision.

Stay tuned.
PO BHP owner

Postby PO BHP owner » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 16:14

Wow! Your whole story sounds so familiar. We had BHP on Indianapolis put in a fiberglass pool for us in 2003 and the problems have NOT stopped. The problems started with the final grade taking 3 weeks to our sliding glass door being ripped from our house during the 1st winter because the concrete was poured incorrectly (J&S Concrete and Scott Brown are a joke!). Currently the entire back patio (that's right J&S) is pulling the entire back side off of our home.

Did I mention that the pool is also sitting crooked? We have pictures from the beginning to the current. Let me know if you are interested.

We currently have a law suite filed against BHP. They have stalled us for the last 3 years in court. If you are interested maybe we can join forces?? I am sick to death of these irresponsible contractors! The lovely Mike and Denise Rutherford deserve to lose everything they own so they would begin to feel what their customers have felt!

If you are having a pool put in go with the small local guy with great references. If you need concrete DO NOT call J&S Concrete. They are the idiots that poured a 10' x 20' patio using 10 YARDS of concrete and didn't bother to pour footers! Hmmmm.... Need to know what does to a house I have pictures! Better yet let us know if you are in Hendricks County anytime and you can see for yourself what a $30,0000 mistake looks like!

Postby Guest » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 17:19

Another victim! I feel for you

Did I mention that the pool is also sitting crooked? We have pictures from the beginning to the current. Let me know if you are interested.

Could you post them here. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see them.

Davey
PO BHP owner

Postby PO BHP owner » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 18:21

Here is the link to just a few of the photos. You will see we started documenting early on based on our experience with Denise and Mike Rutherford. You will see the lack of fill in the first pics. The fill was washed out in a storm and we were told it would be replaced. It wasn't and you will see the concrete and pool is paying the price as time passes. Then there are pics of the crack that formed that was blamed on us despite using the guy that closed the pool the first year sent out by BHP. Hmmm... The following pics are a demonstration of what happens when fill isn't replaced, footers aren't poured, and there is NO customer service follow through! I will add the last year's pictures at another time!

Enjoy and be WARNED!

http://cid-50743b9141d40dc6.skydrive.li ... l%20Photos
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 19:00

Wow - I'm really sorry to hear about that but, unfortunately, am not surprised in the least.

Again, to all you folks who are thinking about installing a pool this summer, I suggest you spend the money and check out www.angieslist.com. (That alone would have helped me out tremendously.) Read online pool forums. Speak to past customers. Check with the Better Business Bureau. Speak to reputable pool company owners...AND STAY AWAY FROM BLUE HAVEN POOLS OF INDIANA.

Remember that if the price looks low, there's a reason!
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 15:25

Unfortunately, the entire coping and tile surrounding my pool requires replacement - which will cost thousands.

A case against Blue Haven Pools of Indiana has now been filed in Boone County (IN) Superior Court. At least I've had a chance to meet some QUALITY pool builders in the Indianapolis area as I gather quotes - too bad I didn't meet them a few years ago!
Green Tree

Postby Green Tree » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 17:45

I'm thinking of taking BHP to court as well. Can't get Mike Rutherford to even return emails about items not yet done on punch list for over a year. Do you have a good attorney? How much is it costing you to get things started on the legal front? I hate to go that route, but am starting to think there may not be another option since I can't even get them to return emails or calls.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 13:22

Green Tree,

I can't recommend an attorney at this point. My brother-in-law, an attorney, is helping me but he's doing it as more of a favor...he typically doesn't handle cases near this small.

When the Marion County Sheriff's office attempted to serve the case notification to Blue Haven Pools of Indiana, they indicated that Blue Haven's office location as vacant.
HatemyBlueHavenPool

Postby HatemyBlueHavenPool » Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:44

Blue Haven built my pool several years ago and it is just a mess. Has never worked properly. ALL MY TILE HAS FALLEN OFF AND I'VE HAD TO REPLACE IT AT GREAT COST! Blue Haven will not call me back. Does anyone know who does Blue Haven's Subcontracting for tile? I hate this company. So. Much.
busyqueenbee

Re: Blue Haven Pools of Indianapolis: Building Our Pool

Postby busyqueenbee » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 14:51

We used Blue Haven to build our pool in South Florida. Horrible experience. Besides the pool issues they screwed up the stamped concrete deck. They ended up chipping it all out and redoing it .. this was after our attorney (a friend) got involved. They are no longer in business in Florida.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Blue Haven Pools of Indianapolis: Building Our Pool

Postby juno1996 » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 10:37

UPDATE: September, 2019

After several years of repairing/patching the tile on our pool each spring/summer, we finally bit the bullet and REPLACED the entire coping and tile work at the tune of $15,700. The original coping installed by BHP was failing all over with most coping bricks loose.

The silver lining is the contractor I hired is ensuring there's an actual expansion joint between the coping bricks and concrete pool deck and will be using quality mortar. While removing the original coping bricks, it became clear just how poorly the BHP work had been holding up as the material under coping bricks was mostly sand. My contractor indicated to me that BHP probably used a cheap bag of mortar and not the highly-recommended quartz product my contractor uses for this climate.

Even though this was $16K I don't feel I should have had to spend at this point, I am looking forward to years of having this issue behind us once and for all!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”