Uneven Pool & Tiling Question

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Picardo1

Uneven Pool & Tiling Question

Postby Picardo1 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:03

I am in the process of having a pool installed and some aspects of the install have me concerned.

This is a 34' fiberglass pool. Once the concrete was poured, it became clear that the waterline is off by up to two inches from the lowest point to the highest. While this is not ideal, more concerning is how the concrete was poured to account for this. Basically, below the smoothed curve coping of the concrete pool, an additional 1.5 to 2inches of rough aggregate which was poured in order to ensure that the concrete deck was level. This 1.5-2 inches is present for probably 85% of the edging of the pool.

I've posted pictures at the links below:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/rreardon2001Ab/Wide%20View%203_zps7f6xpwbl.jpg

The pool installer says that that rough concrete and the lack of 'level-ness' will not be an issue because they will just tile over the concrete as well as the fiberglass. I question this only because I understood the tile to be installed directly on the fiberglass and not on the concrete. Additionally, it seems like the tile will not be laid on a flat surface (especially given the exposed aggregate). And I feel that you'd use a different adhesive on concrete as opposed to fiberglass.

I worry that they'll install the tile and it will look reasonable. But 6 months from now, they will all pop off.

Of course, I know nothing about pools or concrete or tiling. So, maybe I should just trust the experts. But, as a double-check, i thought I'd post here to get a third party perspective. Thanks so much for any advice!

sktn77a
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15000 gal inground gunite/plaster (converted from concrete/acrylic). 1hp StaRite DuraGlass P2R pump, 24" Hayward Sand Filter, Teledyne-Laars 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator, Polaris 380 cleaner with Hayward 6060 booster pump.

Re: Uneven Pool & Tiling Question

Postby sktn77a » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 18:49

It should be OK, but ask your builder about the type of adhesive that should be used on fiberglass vs cement. Irregularities in the surface will be filled by the adhesive. And you should have at least a 1 year warranty (ideally 5) against the tile popping off.

Not impressed with the fact that the buider couldnt get the pool better levelled than this!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 05:56

What a mess!
StephenH
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is very large and awesome parts :P

Postby StephenH » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 02:05

sktn77a wrote:It should be OK, but ask your builder about the type of adhesive that should be used on fiberglass vs cement. Irregularities in the surface will be filled by the adhesive. And you should have at least a 1 year warranty (ideally 5) against the tile popping off.

Not impressed with the fact that the buider couldnt get the pool better levelled than this!

Isn't it there any other option that may cost a little bit more but can be a lifesaver in the long term?
bryanwalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small pool with granite counter tops and many more things.

Postby bryanwalker » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 06:54

Hey Picardo1,

How is your pool now? Can you give any useful suggestion to someone going through the same scenario as yours?
TORTILLABEAN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: fiberglass pool

cement poured in fiberglass pool

Postby TORTILLABEAN » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 15:43

We're having a small 10x20 fiberglass pool being installed now and the cement collar was poured the other day. It's been about 5 days now and what we thought was sand on the bottom of the pool that we were assured would clear up with the pump turns out to be cement. Should we be nervous? How should the pool company remove it? Will it scratch the surface? Thanks much in advance.
Attachments
Close up Cement in fiberglass pool.jpg
Close up Cement in fiberglass pool.jpg (109.81 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Cement in fiberglass pool.jpg
Cement in fiberglass pool.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
dlstraling
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dlstraling » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 17:36

Who is your builder? Are you out of Stockton CA. My neighbor has a fiberglass with concrete deck and within 18 mo, the concrete pool lol was coming off in chunks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”