Swimming pool remodel guidance requested

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
rob137
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 45x20' rectangular, built in the 80's, inground, unite.

Swimming pool remodel guidance requested

Postby rob137 » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 14:49

Just bought a new house, which has an older inground pool in the backyard. Pool is about 45' long and 25' wide, tiles and coping are in pretty good shape. There are no cracks in the pool. It is a diving pool and has a 10' deep end. It is badly in need of resurfacing and since we need to do that, we thought we would look into doing a few other things as well. Namely, replace the tiles as they are a bit dated looking, raise the deep end to 6' and take one set of the entry stairs and convert it to a sun shelf.

We have, I believe, a good pool contractor, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I wanted to hear from folks as to whether they had undertaken any similar remodels, specifically around adding a sun shelf and raising the deep end. So would request any one to share their experience.

Secondly, have no idea if quote is reasonable or not. Basically 20k, to replace tile, raise deep end, install sun shelf and resurface with some variety of pebbletec.

Thought?

paulr33
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Fibreglass Salt Water Pool, 45k litres

Re: Swimming pool remodel guidance requested

Postby paulr33 » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 05:21

whats the problem you're trying to solve by raising the deep end? that would be a lot of labour and structural modifications to add the extra weight of concrete etc
rob137
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 45x20' rectangular, built in the 80's, inground, unite.

Postby rob137 » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:30

Was going to raise the deep end to make the pool more usable for the kids and conducive to playing "sports". Right now everyone just congregates in 1/2 of the pool. The person potentially doing the work indicates that is is pretty straightforward, they put rebar on 12 inch centers and fill. Its not cheap though at 6k.
BMK

Postby BMK » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 06:51

Are you talking about making it 6' from deck to floor, or 6' water depth? If the latter, unless everyone that uses your pool is 7 feet tall, people still arent going to congregate in that end of the pool. What you'd esentially be doing is paying 6k to take away a jumping / diving area, but not really gaining anything in return. If you have young kids, theyll want deeper water as they grow. If youre talking about 6' from deck to floor, that would give you about a 5'5" to 5'7" water depth, which would be much more practical for what you want to accomplish. So just make sure you're on the same page with your contractor.
AllWeatherPools
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have lots of them :)

http://allweatherpoolservice.com/

Postby AllWeatherPools » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 21:27

Totally agreed with BMK. You're better off installing fencing and teaching your kids about pool safety than raising a deep end when it only makes sense to do so for a couple of years.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”