Pool replaster and retiling

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
bsmaltz
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23 year old gunite pool with white plaster.

Pool replaster and retiling

Postby bsmaltz » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 16:01

Hello, I am new to this group. I have been researching options for pool remodel. We have a gunite pool that is 23 years old. We have never resurfaced the pool. Tiles are popping off too. I believe the most economical remodel would be white plaster and tile. Any thoughts on tinted plaster? I have googled and come across pros and cons of tinting. I would prefer to keep the job under 10k. We aren't adding any new features just updating and new plaster. Thanks for the input! :D

drowned_drone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4x5x2, ceramic/tile type w/ gliding surface

Re: Pool replaster and retiling

Postby drowned_drone » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 22:56

I think upgrading by quartz can extend the pool "life" and it will surve longer, but it may be also be expensive
my article dedicated to hot tubs!
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 00:12

White plaster looks very simple while tinted plaster gives nice finish. It is also not very expensive. But the colour might fade over time.
frddvd2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Great Forum! My 18 year old gunnite 20x40 finally needs new marble dusting. It is 1st new marble dust for this pool. I have a contractor telling me don't even think about it if they do not remove original layer completely. Pool resurfacing company tells me they just chip where necessary, acid wash and Kote before redacting.
Can you please guide me if I need a complete chip away or sandblast to remove the existing marble dust and get down to the original concrete? I just want to do this right...

Postby frddvd2 » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 11:37

I have 19 yr old gunite 20x40 now up for resurfacing.
Does anyone know if you need to rip out all the gunite and get down to the cement OR is it acceptable to just chip hollow spots and go over after an acid wash and an bond kote?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 16:12

That depends on the supplier or more specifically their warranty. Gunite is the concrete structure it may be grit blasted/acid washed to key the surface but you wouldn't start chipping it.
If the original coat is very well adhered best left and made good.
frddvd2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Great Forum! My 18 year old gunnite 20x40 finally needs new marble dusting. It is 1st new marble dust for this pool. I have a contractor telling me don't even think about it if they do not remove original layer completely. Pool resurfacing company tells me they just chip where necessary, acid wash and Kote before redacting.
Can you please guide me if I need a complete chip away or sandblast to remove the existing marble dust and get down to the original concrete? I just want to do this right...

Postby frddvd2 » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:44

I’m sorry I should clarify I meant would you rip\chip out the entire “marble dust” layer to get down to the concrete base? Marble dust layer has hairline cracks....concrete foundation i’m assuming is fine. Sorry, pool was installed new and had no issue for 19 years, but now its time for new marble dust, so I’m just confused if you are supposed to remove the existing marble dust, or just chip where needed....and if hairline cracks in the marble dust layer need to be chipped out. Acid wash and bond kite are already in quote. Thanks so much...wow, this gets confusing!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”