swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Mariann
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x50 gunite inground pool

Renovated pool tiles cracked

Postby Mariann » Mon 16 May, 2016 10:13

Just looking for opinions on what might have caused the tiles in our renovated pool to crack and if anyone has had any experience with our issue. Our gunite pool was completely renovated in 2013, including replacing the skimmers and replaced pool lines with pvc plumbing. Old tiles were removed and new tiles were installed and pool was marble dusted. It looked beautiful. The pool was professionally closed and upon opening in the Spring of 2013 we noticed a few tiles had cracks through the middle. Immediately called the company that renovated the pool and after months of trying to get him to come look at the pool, the season was coming to an end, more tiles had cracked and his response was that our pool must have shifted and it was our problem, not his. He suggested we close the pool and open it early in the 2015 season and he would take a look. In 2015, the pool was opened and tiles now were busting. The owner looked at the pool and said he would have the tiles checked to see if the batch we ordered were defective. Of course, they weren't and claimed again, it was our issue, not his because he believed the pool shifted OR it was being closed improperly. We had 2 other pool companies come look at the pool and both stated the pool was renovated wrong and mentioned something about lack of expansion joints. The company that renovated the pool claims that I do indeed have expansion joints. We are at a loss. The renovation was extremely expensive and to repair the pool will costs just as much as the renovation did. Has anyone ever had this problem with their pool?

morefreckles
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Renovated pool tiles cracked

Postby morefreckles » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 05:20

I am dealing with a somewhat similar situation however our pool is much older and before our purchase of the home the pool sat for over a year. We are searching for options. Filling and rebuilding are both too expensive for us. I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I would show proof of other company reports, call BBB and continue to persue them making the necessary repairs. Especially if you have documentation of proper winterization.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk
Mariann
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x50 gunite inground pool

Postby Mariann » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 22:32

Thanks for your response. We reached out yet again to the company that did the renovation and was told someone would be coming on Monday to take another look. Good luck to you and your pool. It's so disappointing to look outside and not be able to take advantage of having the pool :thumbdown:
rot30
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: asdf asdf adasdf adf

Postby rot30 » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 09:41

Mariann wrote:Just looking for opinions on what might have caused the tiles in our renovated pool to crack and if anyone has had any experience with our issue. Our gunite pool was completely renovated in 2013, including replacing the skimmers and replaced pool lines with pvc plumbing. Old tiles were removed and new tiles were installed and pool was marble dusted. It looked beautiful. The pool was professionally closed and upon opening in the Spring of 2013 we noticed a few tiles had cracks through the middle. Immediately called the company that renovated the pool and after months of trying to get him to come look at the pool, the season was coming to an end, more tiles had cracked and his response was that our pool must have shifted and it was our problem, not his. He suggested we close the pool and open it early in the 2015 season and he would take a look. In 2015, the pool was opened and tiles now were busting. The owner looked at the pool and said he would have the tiles checked to see if the batch we ordered were defective. Of course, they weren't and claimed again, it was our issue, not his because he believed the pool shifted OR it was being closed improperly. We had 2 other pool companies come look at the pool and both stated the pool was renovated wrong and mentioned something about lack of expansion joints. The company that renovated the pool claims that I do indeed have expansion joints. We are at a loss. The renovation was extremely expensive and to repair the pool will costs just as much as the renovation did. Has anyone ever had this problem with their pool?

I think either the tile's material is not good. I have heard the same case few months ago, there also the tile was not good and it was also not fixed properly.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”