Old, But Loved, Concrete Block Pool--Help?!!!

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
KYPoolChic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32, concrete block walls, built 1976.

Old, But Loved, Concrete Block Pool--Help?!!!

Postby KYPoolChic » Tue 07 May, 2019 11:49

I have inherited my parents' house with our old family swimming pool, built in 1976. Pool was originally concrete block walls with poured concrete bottom. About 15 years ago, we had a fiberglass product applied, by hand, to the concrete walls to extend the life. About 3 years ago, we began to have problems with an unsatisfactory amount of leaking. So, for past two years, pool was not used. What are some options to make this pool viable? I don't want to just fill it in. Could we remove the fiberglass product, where loose, and have gunnite applied? Or remove the fiberglass and plaster it? Thanks for all opinions and information. At least I will be armed as I talk with local pool "experts".

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Old, But Loved, Concrete Block Pool--Help?!!!

Postby Teapot » Wed 08 May, 2019 01:37

Yes, you'll have to remove the fibreglass.
Lots of options as you have said a couple.
Also polyurea sprayed coating, great for sealing dodgy pools. Or Aquabright or even a liner but you may have to change some fittings to facilitate that one.
Pop back and show us the progress.
KYPoolChic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32, concrete block walls, built 1976.

Postby KYPoolChic » Wed 22 May, 2019 10:12

OK. I want to repair this pool. I don't want to cave in to all the local naysayers. How do you remove the fiberglass from the concrete blocks where it is still adhered? Is there a product for that or is this a scraper and chisel job? Sandblast? We would like to do everything ourselves down to the point of calling in someone to apply the Aquabright or spray concrete, whichever. Thanks for all opinions and input. We don't mind spending some money on this pool, but the local "pool contractors" won't even give us a call or come out and take a look.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 22 May, 2019 10:36

Sand blasting is probably the best way. Please wear the correct protection and respiratory protection. A friend of mine has permanently damaged his lungs blasting glass fibre.
Abourgeo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Block 50’s in ground

Postby Abourgeo » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 14:12

KYPoolChic wrote:OK. I want to repair this pool. I don't want to cave in to all the local naysayers. How do you remove the fiberglass from the concrete blocks where it is still adhered? Is there a product for that or is this a scraper and chisel job? Sandblast? We would like to do everything ourselves down to the point of calling in someone to apply the Aquabright or spray concrete, whichever. Thanks for all opinions and input. We don't mind spending some money on this pool, but the local "pool contractors" won't even give us a call or come out and take a look.

Have you attempted this yet? I have an identical situation but with marcite..
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 14:53

Abourgeo wrote:
Have you attempted this yet? I have an identical situation but with marcite..

Have you read the thread? lots of options including fitting a liner?
We never heard back from KYPoolChic, that's their problem.
Barry1231
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 5 m depth , 10 length ,

Postby Barry1231 » Thu 05 May, 2022 14:34

thanks a lot

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”