swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Haronn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Doheny's Concord 48 in Pool, 24 ft Round

Swimming pool installation

Postby Haronn » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 07:12

I have had good success on past tile projects but this one has me a little stumped.

I am installing a 6”X12” mosaic web-backed porcelain tile at the “scum line” of an inground concrete block pool.

There is a plastic “track” for a vinyl liner that is installed on the concrete block wall directly under the ceramic tile. I will install this track 6.25” below the top of the wall so I can put a 1/8 grout on top and bottom of the 6 X 12 web-backed tile.

The problem is the track will protude from the wall a full ½”. The tile (1/8” thick) will look and function poorly if it is simply installed using thinset. It needs a “bed” built behind it to bring it out flush to the edge of the track.

Is it possible to spread thinset thick enough to get the “build-up” I need?

If so, that could get pricy...It’s 160 lineal feet.

Is there another material that could be used first? If so, what?

The material will need to adhere to concrete block and then allow thinset (or something )to be adhered to it

Thanks in advance for any input.

jvaymd
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Swimming pool installation

Postby jvaymd » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 17:58

Most tiles are generally thicker than 1/8 " and closer to 1/4" to 3/8" so that a finished installation with thin set is closer to at least a 1/2".

If you have to build out the substrate to achieve the correct finish elevation thin set would probably work, though you may want to consider using standard mortar and then thin set to set the tile.

I would consult the specifications of whatever mortar product you consider.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”