swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Lamki
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can the acrylic be affected by the chemicals in the pool

Postby Lamki » Sat 27 Feb, 2021 06:14

Hi

I recently contracted a company to build a pool for me, being that there are no regulations in my country for pool construction. You get a lot of issues.. My current dilemma is that I am building two pools next to each other, they were supposed to be connected with an opening in the bottom (about 1.5 meter by 2 meters)(4x6ft).
Now I am told that the overflow will not happen because of the difference in size (which i have accepted)

So the hole (opening) now needs to be covered up, rather than do block work (concrete) I decided i prefer an acrylic sheet between the two pools. But the factory for the acrylic sheet says they are concerned that the chemicals might erode the acrylic with time.
(My understanding is that acrylic is a material that Un recyclable, so how can it erode with time..

Please let me know, if anyone has feedback.. can the acrylic be affected with chlorine or other chemicals?
Thanks

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Can the acrylic be affected by the chemicals in the pool

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 04:24

I don't think acrylic is usually harmed by pool chemicals.

Spa pools were for a time fiberglass shells with acrylic vacuum formed over to form the surface.

It is also common to install acrylic as the see through walls on the ends of pools and similar.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”