swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
richie967
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 6.5m x 3.5m x 1.4m pool in progress. ICF

Re: Outdoor pool - should I insulate?

Postby richie967 » Wed 30 Sep, 2020 14:48

Here is the redesigned pool with 456 standard bricks laid on their side.

inashrub
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Being dug!

Postby inashrub » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 08:15

What a great project - your picture in the garden looks lovely. I am just starting to dig a similar pool, although smaller (3.5 x 2.2 x 1 M) and am looking at construction. I found the Cellecta Hexatherm online, and that lead me to this site. I have been thinking that it won't need such heavy construction, but from the comments you have received it seems that even with a smaller pool a reinforced concrete construction is a must. Having come from above ground pools that support a great weight with only steel bars I don't understand why the below ground pools need such heavy construction tho - could anyone enlighten me? I have put together solar thermal heaters for the above ground pool and got the temp up to 40c (!) so am looking forward to a properly insulated below ground pool.

Cheers!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 16:45

Whilst above ground pools have a strong enough frame and walls to contain the water they do not have the pressure of the earth pressing inwards. I have seen plenty of inground panel pools, steel or otherwise that begin to barrel the sides, bulging inwards after a few years. The first pool I built for a customer did this after a few years and we replaced it with ICF blocks filled with concrete after 8 years.
Swimmer123
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Self-build in ground exercise pool approx 5.5 x 2.5 m with "Fastlane" counter current unit (to be enclosed - so indoor pool ultimately)

Postby Swimmer123 » Mon 10 May, 2021 11:03

Hi..lots of useful info, thank. We are building similar size pool. Found "Ravatherm" floor insulation and it seems perfect - has anyone used this? Have read that insulation can also go on top of the concrete slab and inside the block walls - what advantages/disadvantages to having the insulation outside vs inside the pool shell? Also, has anyone experience with "Fastlane" counter current units? Thanks
richie967
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 6.5m x 3.5m x 1.4m pool in progress. ICF

Postby richie967 » Sun 26 Dec, 2021 07:49

Teapot wrote:Whilst above ground pools have a strong enough frame and walls to contain the water they do not have the pressure of the earth pressing inwards. I have seen plenty of inground panel pools, steel or otherwise that begin to barrel the sides, bulging inwards after a few years. The first pool I built for a customer did this after a few years and we replaced it with ICF blocks filled with concrete after 8 years.

Hi Teapot,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for your insight. I filled the pool on June 1st, and it has been fantastic since. It hasn't been heated bht the water did get to 3/c with the solar cover. I have since purchased an ASHP which I'm in the process of plumbing in!

Here's a short video (timelapse) I made of the construction!

https://youtu.be/Jie1D1BswyI
acc8braman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby acc8braman » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 06:56

Hi

Nice build - I noticed you didn't go with the bottom drain - Im in the design stage and was planning on doing two - any reason why I shouldn't - mine will be 24 by 12 feet and 4'5 deep.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 12:30

Because they are a source of problems like leaks, unless done properly they can be dangerous, when demanded by customers I also plumbed them as reversable so can be inlets as well and the main reason is they do practically nothing, dirt enters from the surface so MD reduce skimming action
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mjcjives
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Looking at building a 14 ft x 24 ft x 4 ft deep pool using cinder blocks.

Postby mjcjives » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 01:02

acc8braman wrote:Hi

Nice build - I noticed you didn't go with the bottom drain - Im in the design stage and was planning on doing two - any reason why I shouldn't - mine will be 24 by 12 feet and 4'5 deep.

Just curious about putting in a drain, another individual I know built a similar size one and has no drain. In the winter, it just freezes over (about 3 months).

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”