Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
fabchef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Que about above ground pools

Postby fabchef » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 15:08

Hi everyone, fab here. This is my first post in this forum.
We've been looking into getting a pool. My wife was more inclined to go for the half-in/half out pools. I am leaning towards plain above ground pools. First off they are less expensive, easier to put up and for me, if ever we want to get rid of it, mich easier to do so then to have to deconstruct a sunken pool.
We saw a few at pool showrooms close to us. I liked the way the showroom ones are done...with inlet and return both above ground, near the top of the sode of the pool. I asked the salesperson if we can order one like that instead of having the floordrain one. They looked at me kinda funny and said they can but said the floor drain ones are reliable and best to go with that. I prefer the top drain as there is less that can go wrong (unlike floor one...if there is a problem, you're stuck)!
What do you think? Are floor drains reliable? Are they good at withstanding cold Canadian winters over time? Thanks fab

fabchef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Que about above ground pools

Postby fabchef » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 06:57

Anybody????
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 08:57

Floor drains do pretty much zero to clear the water. Dirt enters from the surface, so that is the best place to remove it from before it sinks.
Yes could be the source of a leak and above ground pools generally have thinner liners than in ground so even more chance of a problem. Surface skimmers are best.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fabchef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fabchef » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 10:14

Teapot. Thanks for the info. So you think that the
Setup (inlet and return on top, side of pool) is good? Less things to go wrong?
I wonder if having a bottom drain might help in terms of properly mixing chemicals or salt? Or doesn't matter?
Thanks
Fab
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 11:19

Bottom drain makes not one jot of difference
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fabchef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fabchef » Thu 16 Sep, 2021 11:35

Another question...we're thinking of getting an oval pool. I heard that they are more problematic compared to round pools. Is this true? What is the issue with them?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 17 Sep, 2021 01:41

I wouldnt agree oval pools are in any way problematic, that why I built my oval pool, far better hydrodynamically than a rectangular pool as no potential dead spots in the corners.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 17 Sep, 2021 01:49

The only problem I see is that in a circular AGP pool the weight distribution and pressure is equal all round but I would assume that oval pool manufacturers would have taken that into consideration
fabchef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fabchef » Fri 17 Sep, 2021 05:44

Yes, was reading how oval pools and buttress, and how more modern oval pools have taken it into consideration.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 17 Sep, 2021 08:36

Yes two side walls of bloc take the forces along the parallel sections.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”