Building a small semi-overground pool

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
richardspain
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: No pool, but trying to build one ...

Postby richardspain » Thu 05 May, 2011 08:33

I am currently in the process of planning to build a pool in the Canary Islands. It will be a small pool 4m x 3m and only 1.3m deep (more of an outside bath). Half of the pool will be up against a rockface and the other half will be above ground.

I was planning to make it out of reinforced concrete and tile it. An engineer has given the recommended concrete width, iron required and I just wanted to check it with a third person as I have found that building in Spain doesn't seem to be the same as anywhere else.

The pool will be built onto rock and with two sides up against a rockface (not earth). He has recommended we have a 25cm concrete base with two layers of steel. And the sides will be 1.30m high x 20cm wide with two steel rods every 20cm.

Firstly do these recommendations seem OK, over-excessive considering it is a tiny pool built onto rock or not enough.

Secondly for a pool this size would you recommend building it of concrete or with filled blocks with steel reinforcements?

The pool will be built by a reputable building company but I have had quite a few bad experiences with building companies here so I prefer to check with people who know before I let them loose on my garden!

thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Thu 05 May, 2011 09:02

Hi!
You mentioned it will be built by company, but no word of how the concrete will be applied.
Is it gonna be a tradiditional shot gunite?
It makes big difference. Also the size of steel that will be used.
richardspain
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: No pool, but trying to build one ...

Postby richardspain » Sat 07 May, 2011 04:14

The concrete will be standard concrete delivered in a concrete truck - I don't know what you mean by shot gunite, but it won't be hand-mixed. They will use 12mm steel

I have just had another quote from another company who want to build it with a 20cm base and filled blocks with 12mm steel - The quote is a lot cheaper. So it will be a 20cm reinforced concrete base built onto solid rock with two sides up against a rock face with the walls built with concrete filled blocks 1.3m high.

The pool will be curved if that makes any difference.
DashQuark

Re: Building a small semi-overground pool

Postby DashQuark » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 18:15

How did it go? I have a similar design question about having an above ground pool wall.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”