Our gunite pool is too deep, should we fix it?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
smanuel123

Our gunite pool is too deep, should we fix it?

Postby smanuel123 » Thu 07 Jul, 2016 18:47

We just built a free form gunite pool. We spent so much time deciding location, shape, whether or not to do some sort of rock wall, then what type of rock, tile, etc., that we never really discussed the depth. We didn't want a diving board so we went with 7 feet on the deep end. And I remember once when we sat down with the pool builder that he said we'd do 3 1/2 feet to 7 feet. I never questioned him UNTIL the hole was dug. He said "it looks huge now, but there will be 10 inches of gunite on top". But then they poured the gunite and it dried and my husband and I got in and it's so deep! It's 3 1/2 feet for only about 1 foot then it is 4 feet then 5 feet before you know it. I would say that 75% of the pool will be over my head and 95% over my daughter's head. He said 'kids grow up' and 'you'll regret it if you fill it in' and 'it's a terrible idea' but 'it can be done'. I want them to be able to stand up and play in the pool. I want to be able to stand up in the pool. I don't want to spend the money but I also don't want to spend this much money and not enjoy my pool. I'm just trying to make the best decision and would like others opinions. I know it's a personal choice, but I'm just curious if most people would feel the same way and want a shallow end to 'play' in. Also, if anyone has any experience in making a gunite pool more shallow I'd love to know more. Should I worry about the quality of the pool once it's been 'fixed'?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Our gunite pool is too deep, should we fix it?

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 08 Jul, 2016 04:48

Are those measurements pool depth or water level depth
My pool is 3 1/2 feet to 5 feet over 26 feet at water level but we have a roman end where the kids can play
Remember you can't make it bigger
It might be an idea to make it level at 3 1/2 feet for 3 feet and then ramp down
smanuel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Free form, gunite pool, 550 feet, saltwater pump

Postby smanuel » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 13:11

Denniswiseman wrote:Are those measurements pool depth or water level depth
My pool is 3 1/2 feet to 5 feet over 26 feet at water level but we have a roman end where the kids can play
Remember you can't make it bigger
It might be an idea to make it level at 3 1/2 feet for 3 feet and then ramp down

It's water level. I'm ok with the 3 1/2 feet, just wish the shallow end extended further before dropping off. I feel like the kids won't have much room to play. We have steps that are the width of the pool and I'm sure they'll enjoy playing on them. We also have a tanning deck that they'll love. But, we just focused so much on all the other aspects of planning the pool that we ignored the most important one, in my opinion. We're not changing it. The pool guy couldn't tell me that it wouldn't ruin the quality of the pool. Had he said 'sure I can fix it and it'll be perfect' we wouldn't have thought twice. I know we'll love it. I'm just a little disappointed in myself for not addressing it before it was too late. I'd love to hear from others that don't have much of a shallow end and hear their opinions.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 16:26

Don't forget that kids grow quickly and once they can swim a short distance they should be fine
Sel1977

Postby Sel1977 » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 09:41

We have the same issue Exact issue. However we specifically told them we didn't want the shallow end any deeper than 4' as we wanted hay area for play. And 95% of the pool is over my head. I am 5' and will not be growing anymore. They came back few weeks later and added more concrete. However they did shoot it like the way they did originally. This time they just added San, rocks, and bags of concrete mix to the shallow end, added some water and mixed it. The next morning after it dried I noticed tons of cracking on the new layer of concrete they poured. Now I'm concerned the cracking will ruin the plaster therefore I don't feel comfortable with moving forward with the plastering. The pool guy tells me it's fine and there will be no issues but I don't believe him and feel he is pulling my leg. I'm so frustrated as this is a big investment and we expect the people we pay to do a job for us to do it right.

Any pool professionals / engineers agree or disagree with what the pool guy is telling me?
selin56
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Model NO.: SR850-swimming pool spa
Pool Shape: Square
Occasion: Gym, Garden, Playground
Size: Big
Material: Acrylic
Lounge: 3 Persons
Pool Part: 4150mm*2200mm*1300mm
Weight - Dry/Filled: 850kg/ 10250kg
Container Load: 1PC/ 20gp; 2PC/ 40FT
Control System: America Balboa System

Postby selin56 » Sun 07 May, 2017 07:12

Interesting site to find pool service contractor https://25pros.com/price/swimming_pools_maintenance/

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”