swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
ShaneS
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9m x 4.5m Fibreglass

Cracked Pool Coping

Postby ShaneS » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 04:13

Hello. We had a new fiberglass pool installed, along with a concrete bond beam. Over a year later (to be sure everything settled), we had coping installed. Within 1-2 weeks cracks started to appear, in the center of almost the half of the straight pieces, as well as all corners. The coping manufacturer is blaming pool movement, but I don't see any cracks in the concrete below. I think it's caused by the "green" coping drying out too quickly and cracking, but I need some educated opinions. Any ideas? Some pictures below. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

20171114_190129.jpg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Cracked Pool Coping

Postby Teapot » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:59

What was used to backfill around the pool, self compacting media or the original earth spoil?
ShaneS
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9m x 4.5m Fibreglass

Postby ShaneS » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 20:31

I believe they used sand to back fill. It's one of our state's biggest and most respectable pool manufacturers and installers, so I know they do a good job. The concrete beam was tied into the fiberglass, so it's quite solid. I wouldn't expect one part to move from the other. And I wouldn't expect to see cracking like that in more than half the pieces due to "movement".
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 03:08

ShaneS wrote: I wouldn't expect one part to move from the other. And I wouldn't expect to see cracking like that in more than half the pieces due to "movement".

Me neither, just trying to get some background information. Has the coping manufacturer actually visited the site? I couldn't see evidence of movement from your pictures, even the mortar bed under the coping looks sound.
I thinks you may be right about the coping. It's not much cost to the manufacturer, why don't they just give you some new ones, if it goes to litigation it will only cost more.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 11:05

Was the ring beam reinforced and what does the pool installer who formed the ring beam have to say about it?
I agree with Teapot about no signs of cracking in the concrete or mortar bed and the fact that you waited a year before laying the coping indicates that there shouldn't be any ring beam movement
I also agree to be more robust in your claim to the coping stones manufacturer
It definately looks like a shrinkage crack

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”