swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
VaughnPools
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: rectangular pool in ground being built

Adding after gunite

Postby VaughnPools » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 15:57

Because we have a change in mind of adding a pool step and shelf a day after the gunite was done, is that a possibility? our third step down we would like to wrap around the large 2nd step or play shelf for the kids and continue it down a wall on the side going towards the deep end for about 15 feet which would give us a small shelf to stand on and visit with people that would be on the patio. it is in a cut out 4 ft x 15 ft where the step or shelf would be only 2 ft out by the 15 ft. Talking to the builder he said it might float and would have a stipulation for it. I may not be a rocket scientist but I would think if you were to drill holes and put in re-bar and re gunite the area to make the step it would work. So does anyone have any advice on this.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Adding after gunite

Postby Teapot » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 16:03

Concrete that floats? I am with you, the sooner it gets done the greener the concrete so more likely to get a good bond, I would add some SBR additive to get a really strong bond. Next time though think it through properly first, can't blame the contractor for being concerned as it's his reputation if there is a problem later.
VaughnPools
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: rectangular pool in ground being built

Postby VaughnPools » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 16:22

Thanks It just sucks that our builder didn't come to us and ask if there were changes we were thinking of before he gunited. It may have been avoided if he would have communicated with us better. But now we know.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 04:16

That is always a problem, the view the owner has, vs the view the builder has. Single biggest cause of upset on any project. I like to have a pre start briefing so I can check the image in everyone's mind before commencing work.
Good luck with the improvements, please pop back with some pictures of the project.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”