Advise on pool brick repair

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Scott N

Advise on pool brick repair

Postby Scott N » Wed 30 May, 2018 20:16

Hello,
My neighborhood pool has a broken brick. This brick along with other bricks are on the edge around the pool. This brick was sticking up and was an accident waiting to happen to any of the many kids using the pool. I used a rubber mallet to beat it back down but the brick was to tight. I used a saw on the grout/cement on the sides and was able to beat it back down. I had some liquid nail type product I used to glue it back together and used some caulk on the sides where the grout/cement was in between the bricks. Well it rained that night and the caulk and liquid nail type product didn't set up. So my question is what product would be appropriate to glue the brick back together and would I use sanded grout or cement to go in between the bricks? There is new construction going on in the neighborhood where there is bricks going on the outside walls and I was thinking about getting a little cement from there if that would be the right product to in between the bricks. Thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Advise on pool brick repair

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 31 May, 2018 01:39

Ask a bricklayer what was used to bed the brick (probably sand/cement mortar)
You would have to break up the bed and bed down on fresh mortar. Then fillin the gaps with mortar
Scott N

Postby Scott N » Thu 31 May, 2018 11:34

Half of the brick is still embedded. I was wanting to glue the brick back together and re cement in between the other bricks. Was curious what product to use to glue the brick back together that would be tolerant to the pool water as the brick is on the edge/ledge of the pool water side. Thanks
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 31 May, 2018 11:41

A polymer bonding compound like Sikka etc would work. Don't use silicone

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”