Precast septic tank as plunge pool?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
guywithoutapool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is currently a lawn but will be a pool in the near future. Hopefully.

Precast septic tank as plunge pool?

Postby guywithoutapool » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:13

Not a used one, I promise.

I'm in the process of figuring out if I can build a plunge pool myself. Somewhere around 7'x11'x4.5'. Best plan I had come up with so far was filled block with a poured floor, all tiled over. But then I stumbled upon precast concrete septic tanks. Some manufacturers make tanks with dimensions that would be acceptable for my project. They come in varying thicknesses and are obviously rated to hold liquid.

The problems I have thought of so far are: a) this would probably not be code compliant. b) these tanks come with inlet and outlet holes precast into them, which would be challenging to fill in a structurally sound way. c) cutting additional holes in 4" thick steel reinforced concrete for skimmers, etc. sounds like a really big job. d) my wife may never swim in it if she knows it is actually a septic tank.

Some companies do semi-custom precast work, so maybe instead of an inlet and outlet, I could have them cast in holes for skimmer, jet, drain, whatever... I have no idea, but I don't think that changing those aspects of a precast design is too hard, I think they just set those shapes into the mold and pour around them.

Go ahead, shoot down my stupid idea. Thx.

Dan_C
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Precast septic tank as plunge pool?

Postby Dan_C » Sun 26 Nov, 2023 03:01

Hey long while gone and the world has changed a lot but did you ever do this project? I just had the same idea!

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”