Cinderblock pool walls?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 07:20

I wouldn't advise that as the liner is just that and won't hold any thing up
You need the rebar and concrete to hold the wall together. The weight of water will buckle and distort the wall

CLEpool

Postby CLEpool » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 09:42

I recently had a pool installed. It was installed by a pool company that tried to bury an above ground doughboy pool. After 30 days it collapsed. When I went to get it warrantied he said he was broke and suggested a concrete block pool and he would give me the liner. Do trying to make the best of the situation I hired a masonry guy to build the pool out of block. They made a rectangle 16x32 pool out of block. The set the block, skim coated the exterior with cement, drain tile and tarred the cement before backfilling with stone. The pool installer then set an oversized liner in the pool and I have wrinkles everywhere. He out the liner over the block and secured it down. They then put coping on top for future liners. The bottom is concrete with a circular deep end and a walking edge around it so you can stand in the deep end. I am not happy with the liner. What are my options. Please help
Rajeevx7

Postby Rajeevx7 » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 23:24

You have to drain the pool if you want to get the wrinkles out! The wrinkles are all at the bottom and the bottom seems more intricate than any custom liner could be made to fit.
There is a how to on you tube for a flat bottom round inground that has the liner elevated as it is filled. Two workers stretch out the liner across the top rail and as the water weighs in they slowly lower the liner down. They didn't have any wrinkles, but they were pros and their pool was not like yours.
johnhardy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby johnhardy » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 01:45

Decorate around your pool by paving stone and give the natural look.
Tomsalwayssmilin

Postby Tomsalwayssmilin » Thu 31 May, 2018 13:49

Hi,

I'm in the process of gathering all the information I can before I start this fun pool build. My first question is what size cinderblock should I build with? My pool will be 20'×40' and run from 9' to 3' with a 12'×8' sun deck and 8'×8' spa built into the shallow end. These are included in the overall dimensions.
I've priced out 8" and 10" block but I'm uncertain as to what size to use. I'm filling every block with a minimum of 3000psi concrete mix and 3/8" or 1/2" rebar in every cavity. I'm also running bond beam block with horizontal rebar every 3rd course. The floor and walls will be a continuous pour with the floor rebar extending into the wall block with 3' overlap. The deep end will be a 6"×6" grid pattern and the shadow will be 1'×1' grid pattern with the deep end grid overlapping into the shallow end 6'.
Anyone hear of using a pillar in the outside middle of the wall to provide additional support to the large 40' span?

Any additional info on the block size would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 31 May, 2018 16:00

I don't think you'll need the bond beam every 3rd course, just top and bottom. I would use vertical rebar though, didn't see you mention it? Absolutely I would build pillars mid way.

Are you looking for advice on pump and filtration?
Tomsalwayssmilin

Postby Tomsalwayssmilin » Thu 31 May, 2018 23:26

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'll definitely be running rebar in every medica vertical cavity. I was thinking the bond beam every 3rd course may be a bit overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I may not go every 3rd course. I definitely think I will incorporate an exterior pillar on each side midway of the 40ft sides.
My main question was what size block I should use. I'm debating on 8 inch block or 10 inch block. I've searched everywhere and I can't find an answer to this.

I'm looking to use the Haywood Pro Logic saltwater system on my pool. Probably the 3hp considering the size of the pool.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 15:36

Interesting why you just state the proposed pump HP, the most important parts are the size of your filtration and pipework, number of skimmers and returns. The pump is the least of your concerns but I would go variable speed.
Merfromseattle
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Cinderblock

Postby Merfromseattle » Sun 14 Jun, 2020 16:47

I have a cement slab. Can I build a cinderblock pool on that?
_ThaNerd_
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby _ThaNerd_ » Wed 30 Sep, 2020 05:12

I'm thinking of building an inground pool of about 12x22 in size but uncertain about a few things.

Can the floor be cemented first and let to dry and then cement the walls? Like would there be a gap in between the walls and floor or will the two cement bond even though they were cemented in different times?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 01 Oct, 2020 12:39

What I do when building a customers pool is use a waterbar, bentonite strip. This expands and completely seals the joint.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”