Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
mrmumbels
I'm new here
I'm new here

uglassit gelcoat or any other gelcoating

Postby mrmumbels » Tue 27 Mar, 2007 19:21

i recently bought some gelcoat from uglassit .com and was wondering if anyone has ever resurfaced their pool with this or any other gelcoat. my concrete pool was resurfaced with fiberglass by fibre tech 15 years ago and i'm looking for the best possible way to get the gelcoat to adhere to the substance they used which i'm told is a polyester resin. I'm told i need to sand it down and make fine grooves to make this tuff stick but am clueless to how deep these grooves need to be to make this stuff stick the best. Most of the final coating that was applied by fibre tech has fallen off and is showing the blue undercoating. But there's still many spots, (mainly the edges to the fiberglass) that seem to have a really thick layer of this top coat that has not fallen off and doesn't look liek it'll be possible to sand off due to it's thickness. Where the final coat has fallen off it is blue as i stated and there is a bit of fiberglass showing which i'm sure the gelcoat will have no problems sticking to. As for the spots with the fibretech final coat still intack i'm curious to if this gelcoat will stick because i can't see much fiberglass strands sticking through. Did i mention my pool is empty and the gelcoat gets delivered in 3 days? I really need ot get this done this weekend. Any advice would be great. I could post pics of the blue and white surfaces if anyone would need to see these.
Thanks,

pamela6000

Uglassit gelcoat or any other gelcoating

Postby pamela6000 » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 22:05

Hello
I was just wondering if you ever got a reply to this, and what product you ended up using , and how it all worked out?
We also need to refinish our fiberglass pool and are very confused on all the conflicting information on gel coats versus other 2 pary epoxy coating lasing longer...or not working..etc etc

Thanks for any input
Pam
mrmumbels
I'm new here
I'm new here

Uglassit gelcoat or any other gelcoating

Postby mrmumbels » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 09:57

I did end up using the product from Uglassit.com.
I will tell you, I bought 3, 5gallon pails and only used 1.
I was worried so i called them up and was told it would never last since i must have applied it wrong.

I know every case is different but for me sanding did not work at all. I actually used a pressure washer and was able to remove the old gelcoat while still leaving the fiberglass strands for the new gelcoat to grab onto.

It's been 2 years and it is still perfectly beautiful.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”