Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Harryc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Main Drain and Returns

Postby Harryc » Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:49

I know this has come up before but no real answer yet so...PB said he does not install Main drains in fiberglass pools any longer. He said water is pumped from skimmer to cartridge filter back to pool.
Also he said I'll only need 2 returns on the size pool I'm getting which is 15x34, 8700gal.
My two questions are: 2 returns, do I really need more and do I really need a drain on the bottom of pool??
I'm ok with what he said about the drains and returns, it's just I want to be sure It's the right thing to do. I've done my homework but there is not much info about drains/no drains out there. The PB is very respected in this area and was not the cheapest guy out there.
Thanks again..Harry

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 27 Apr, 2007 17:09

Hi Harry

For the cost of another return I would always add at least 1 and preferably 2 more returns than a pool builder recommends.

I would also ask them to upsize the pipe works at least 1 diameter above what they are recommending.

The reason for the above is perfectly logical, in the case of the pool builder they are there to sell you the best pool they can. They invest money in the pool and tend to skimp on the equipment by providing the most cost effective equipment they can (generally). In the future you may want to increase the size of the equipment or change something and you do not want to dig up your yard to change pipe diameters or add jets so you can get more water back to the pool.

As for the main drain, on a fiberglass pool I too think they aren't required.

HTH

Postby Guest » Sat 19 May, 2007 07:25

dynamictiger wrote:Hi Harry

For the cost of another return I would always add at least 1 and preferably 2 more returns than a pool builder recommends.

I would also ask them to upsize the pipe works at least 1 diameter above what they are recommending.

The reason for the above is perfectly logical, in the case of the pool builder they are there to sell you the best pool they can. They invest money in the pool and tend to skimp on the equipment by providing the most cost effective equipment they can (generally). In the future you may want to increase the size of the equipment or change something and you do not want to dig up your yard to change pipe diameters or add jets so you can get more water back to the pool.

As for the main drain, on a fiberglass pool I too think they aren't required.

HTH

just curious as to why you believe a md isn't required in a fiberglass pool
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 19 May, 2007 20:15

I didn't actually say they aren't required. I was talking specifically about this particular pool. The size of this pool is such that it does not have to have a main drain.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”