Suggestions on what to do with the “pool” on my property.

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
mysticethan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Large, in ground diving pool with hot tub.

Suggestions on what to do with the “pool” on my property.

Postby mysticethan » Sun 09 Dec, 2018 19:17

I purchased an investment property recently to flip. This is my first time doing so. The house and lots that it sit on have the potential to be absolutely gorgeous. However, I’m now realizing I could have a huge problem. I knew there was a pool here when I bought the property that had been filled in. Upon further investigation, I have discovered that I actually still have a pool. After pulling the covering of grass and vines off of it, I noticed the concrete decking, lip, tile, and gunite were readily visible at the deep end (it’s a diving pool) and seems to be intact with a few superficial cracks in the plaster. The deep end lacks about 2 feet or so from being level with the decking. The hot tub is only halfway filled in. The surface is boggy in places, and uneven overall. The plan was to top it off with dirt and repurpose as a garden or dog play area. After talking to some of the neighbors, I learned the pool was completely functional when the last owner moved in in 1999, and that “the desecration happened over many years.” The bottom was never broken up, nor were the sides. When I went out there to try and spread the dirt around, I discovered a really thick piece of rebar sticking up. I couldn’t pull it up due to the rolls of old carpet holding it down. Then I noticed the door frame, lattice work, microwave, and old plastic containers. I’m concerned it could be a trash pit. The former owner was not the responsible type, and not only was she in and out of prison, she let anyone and their dog stay here. It rained all day yesterday and the day before. When I was walking the property today I noticed water standing on top of all the crap in the deep end. Now I’m terrified the pool still holds water, and could pose serious problems. I need all the advice I can get, because I have no idea what to do now. It seems like this could cost me an absolute fortune. Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Suggestions on what to do with the “pool” on my property.

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 03:56

If your initial idea was to flip it I would be inclined to follow that route as the cost of renovation would be expensive
Because you noticed rebar which would assume that part of the pool was broken and the removal of all the trash
I would be inclined to punch some holes in the shell and allow some water to soak out
The problem you have with filling it in is the accumalated rubbish would continue to break down and the ground sink down
mysticethan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mysticethan » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 06:15

I’m not sure it’s even rebar due to its thickness, location (there’s at least 10 feet of something under it), and angle where it sticks out of it. It looks more like some kind of iron rod. I don’t really have the budget to dig everything out, but if I have to should I make it useable again? It’s going to br expensive any way I dice it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 13:46

A swimming pool doesn't normally add to a house value unless that is what a prospective owner wants
I still think my initial idea to do away with it is the best option
You may want to just cover it with block & beam ( https://www.milbank.co.uk/beam-block-concrete-flooring/) and make a feature of it
mysticethan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mysticethan » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 19:32

I tracked down the owner who installed the pool today. She brought album with her. The pool took a full year to build in 1986 at a cost of $65,000. It is sitting in chiseled our bedrock on all sides and bottom. The bottom and walls are poured in place concrete, which is 2 feet thick, and reinforced with rebar spaced 6 inches apart in two layers. Both layers are in a lattice pattern. It was then plastered and tiled. The bottom was never broken up when it was filled in because she said it would have been far too labor intensive to do so. So it still holds water.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Dec, 2018 03:31

Are you trying to talk your self into refurbishing it?
If you don't want to just flip it go ahead and clear the rubbish out
It will still cost a few thousand dollars for equipment and you would have to check the pipework

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”