Grout and broken tile issues

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
RJLewis10
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Viking Freeform fiberglass pool with cantilever deck and ceramic tile at top of pool where pool and deck meet. Waterfall feature in 2 places where deck and tile meet.

Grout and broken tile issues

Postby RJLewis10 » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 09:30

I have a Viking fiberglass freeform pool with a cantilever deck and a double row of tile at the top of the pool where the tile and deck meet.

The pool is about 4 years old.

The guy that installed the pool is no longer in business. His shoddy work and law suits by others who used him forced him out of the pool business.

Heres my problems (more than 1 issue happening)

1. The coping is cracking and chipping away in several places where the concrete coping jets out over the pool (where it curves to make a smooth edge over the water). What is the best way to repair this. These spots are 6 to 8 inches long and a couple inches deep. The concrete has just chipped off.

2. The tile was glued onto the fiberglass wall with a white plastic trim strip placed on the top of the tile before the deck was poured. It seems to me that a similar strip should have been placed at the bottom edge of the tile to give it a finished look since the tile is not embedded into the wall like it is on a gunite pool.

My problem is the grout is cracking everywhere and falling into the pool.

I'm thinking about either removing the tile completely and leaving it off or wondering of I could somehow adhere a similar white plastic strip (like the one at the top of the tile) to the fiberglass wall at the bottom to give it a finished look and the re-grout the tile. There is 2 rows of tile so I may have to remove the lower row.

So my question is this. Has anyone ever run into this problem and if you have, what did you do to fix it.

Also, if I choose to just remove all of the tile and go without, are there any suggestions on how to do this without damaging the gelcoat on the fiberglass wall....and are there companies out there thst could do this for me. I live in the Columbia South Carolina area.

3. Finally my decking is cracked in several places. Its a stamped colored deck and has been replaced once already. Whats the best product to fill these cracks as i am not up for pouring a 3rd deck.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Grout and broken tile issues

Postby Teapot » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 12:09

Wow, lots of issues.
I would start with these.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... hane+grout

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”