MARBLE DUSTING MAINTENANCE

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
frddvd2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Great Forum! My 18 year old gunnite 20x40 finally needs new marble dusting. It is 1st new marble dust for this pool. I have a contractor telling me don't even think about it if they do not remove original layer completely. Pool resurfacing company tells me they just chip where necessary, acid wash and Kote before redacting.
Can you please guide me if I need a complete chip away or sandblast to remove the existing marble dust and get down to the original concrete? I just want to do this right...

MARBLE DUSTING MAINTENANCE

Postby frddvd2 » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 07:10

HELP...1 HUGE QUESTION...I need expert advice!

I have a great 20x40 gunite pool in New York.
- 19 years old
- never been re-dusted, but was perfectly maintained
- completely faded and hairline cracks in dust layer so definitely needs re-dust.

- Is it necessary to completely REMOVE the old marble layer before putting the new layer on?

- I have one person telling me either sand blast or cut-chip should be used to COMPLETELY REMOVE, another telling me only chip where necessary because "complete removal of original layer" could compromise concrete base.
- everyone agrees on acid wash and Bond Kote as well as tile removal and new tile install for surface water top rim.

It leads me to wonder also if "layers" are ok... how many times can you simply re-dust without complete removal of the previous dusting layers?

Thanks, Fred

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: MARBLE DUSTING MAINTENANCE

Postby Teapot » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 16:15

You have two threads on the same subject, please stick to just one as it gets confusing.
frddvd2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Great Forum! My 18 year old gunnite 20x40 finally needs new marble dusting. It is 1st new marble dust for this pool. I have a contractor telling me don't even think about it if they do not remove original layer completely. Pool resurfacing company tells me they just chip where necessary, acid wash and Kote before redacting.
Can you please guide me if I need a complete chip away or sandblast to remove the existing marble dust and get down to the original concrete? I just want to do this right...

Re: MARBLE DUSTING MAINTENANCE

Postby frddvd2 » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:30

OK...sorry! I was having trouble understanding if it was posted! Thanks!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”