miscellaneous construction techniques.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Seeking information in order to make correct purchase for my barn

Wall material for indoor pool room

Postby Terry Torrial » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 02:39

Hello, all

over the coming year I intend to turn my barn, here in Brittany, to a pool/spa room. It is a big barn around 15x X 5.5m with solid stone walls that are around 700mm thick.
I was thinking of plasterboarding the lot without skimming. Advantages are I can insulate behind the board. Disadvantages I can envisage are that the board can be easily damaged and the moisture could get into the board. I might have to just point the stone joints? Any other ideas would be welcome.
I intend to put a pool of around 6m x 3m inside. I will have many other questions because I want to get this right but these questions merit their own thread.

Thanks in advance :)

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Wall material for indoor pool room

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 08:35

Hi Terry and welcome
I would definately not use plasterboard because of the dampness. What about spraying foam and lining it with insulated plastic. Or just plaster the walls. You really need to think about extraction as well because of the humidity
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:10

Thank you, I think I'll just point the stonework and seal it. Use timber/shiplap for the roof with insulation underneath.
Regarding the extraction...there is two bi-fold entrance doors that are 3m wide each and two Velux windows in the roof space. I have looked at this...https://www.heatpumps4pools.com/indoor- ... ventilator. Would it be necessary as well?

Steve
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:11

Furmacell water resistant panel would be a better choice. Thats what is used at the London aquatic centre ( Olympic water park). The walls of the barn will still need to breathe or you'll get mold growth. I would also agree with Dennis about correct ventilation with ideally heat recovery to keep heating costs down.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:14

Don't seal the stone work let it breath and it can evaporate moisture.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:15

Thanks Teapot,

Yes, Do you mean dehumidifier with heat recovery? Any reccommendations? This stuff looks good for sealing the wall and still letting it breathe. The wall is natural Breton random stone.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:17

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 12:00

Not sure what you are trying to achieve? Breton stone, unlike mine which is limestone you are granite? Dubious and very questionable claims made on that product, insulation properties would be almost zero and used on grade 1 & 2 listed buildings I very much doubt as the people who look after such like national heritage etc would not allow it. I will ask a friend of mine who is a fellow of RICS but I think I already know the answer.
Heat pumps for Pools is my friend John's company, any air handling unit with a recovery heat exchanger will work.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 13:24

Thanks a lot. Interesting, that website has a lot I'm interested in. I think the best option is to just point and leave, then.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 14:21

It could be the case, point with lime (chaux) and sand mix.
Your pool, being in a barn, will not get the benefit of the sun's heating, what system are you considering? Also using and insulated pool structure will go a long way to reducing the heating costs.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 14:26

It could be the case, point with lime (chaux) and sand mix.
Your pool, being in a barn, will not get the benefit of the sun's heating, what system are you considering? Also using and insulated pool structure will go a long way to reducing the heating costs.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:41

I was looking at something like this... https://www.azialo.com/25-3429-piscine- ... liner-bleu

Any good?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 15:18

Ah going for an above ground pool.
Terry Torrial
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Terry Torrial » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 00:28

Yes, here in France there are extra taxes for in-ground pools because they class them as permanent fixtures.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 01:43

Yes I am aware as I do most of my pool work for ex pat's in France.
It's only around €250 for an average pool. But it varies slightly with the regions

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”