Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
jvaymd
I'm new here
I'm new here

Building poured concrete pool

Postby jvaymd » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 16:34

So, I'm entertaining the thought of building a pool for my family and am looking for some feedback from those experienced with the process.

Some background, I am a licensed general contractor. I have poured concrete walls and slabs for clients over the years, and am generally experienced with excavation, footers, formwork ,rebar, and masonry, etc.

I am thinking of building a very simple rectangular pool. I would excavate, pour footers for the walls, form walls, install a grid of #4 rebar throughout, pour the walls, strip the forms, and then pour the floor /stairs. I know that is leaving out many important steps like plumbing, electrical, coping, etc.

Is there anything wrong with approaching the build this way? I clearly have never built a pool.
What should be applied to the concrete after it has cured in order to water proof it? Should I parge it with a specific type of mortar mix made for pool applications? Should I use a higher psi mix for pouring the walls? Is this a terrible idea?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and input.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Building poured concrete pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:03

I suggest you search YouTube for the information you require
A fibreglass pool is quickly fitted and working
Another is the hollow block and rebar, where the floor is laid first with rebar going up through the hollow blocks, tied in horizontally and then concreted
If you are keen on formwork. Tie the walls into the base with rebar so you have a complete shell

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”