Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
cjohn
I'm new here
I'm new here

How long will a concrete pool last?

Postby cjohn » Fri 19 Jun, 2020 08:29

Hey all, I'm brand new here and looking for advice. We recently moved into a house with an old concrete pool. The pool was put in in 1965. It's in rough shape. I've been getting prices on getting work done when this thought occurred to me. How long does a concrete pool actually last? Is it wise to spend a lot of money on a pool that is already 54 years old? I found info online saying concrete pools can last between 40-70 years. Can anyone offer any advice on the life expectancy of a pool from the 60's? Thanks much.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: How long will a concrete pool last?

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 19 Jun, 2020 16:58

Concrete lasts for ages, houses have concrete foundations as do all buildings and the Hoover Dam
The problem with concrete pools is how thick they are and how good the rebar is and the cover (50mm)
The only thing is to drain down (subject to the water table) and inspect
If the rebar is near the surface it may have cracked and corroded the rebar
If that is the case seek professional help
cjohn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cjohn » Sat 20 Jun, 2020 15:13

Thanks Dennis, This is helpful. We live in the Mid-South where the water table is pretty high. I have drained the pool and found spots that look like rust. They look and feel like mineral deposits, very flaky and dry but deep rust color. I assume this is from the rebar and leaching through the concrete. Does that sound like what you are describing with corroded rebar?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 02:36

Could be just iron staining from the water what does the concrete look like
When rebar rusts it tends to expand and push the concrete away
I would be inclined to clean the area thoroughly and tap with a hammer to see if it sounds hollow

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”