Is Gunite alone supposed to be waterproof?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
champdds
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently installing 17 x 30 gunite pool with tanning ledge off main pool

Is Gunite alone supposed to be waterproof?

Postby champdds » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 16:59

We are in the process of installing a Gunite 17 x 30 inground, and I am curious about the fact that the amount of water from rain inside the pool is level with amount of groundwater being retained in the collapsed wall areas (During excavation that will be backfilled obviously) outside of the Gunite? When the pool is pumped out, the water will seep back in to the same level inside and out. I was told that once the pebble finish is applied, that is when the pool will be watertight, but I am concerned how easily water is getting into the pool or the hydrodynamic pressure on the pool walls. (When the pool is pumped down to only a few inches, the water level outside of the pool drops the same level).

Not sure how to add photos...

Thoughts?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is Gunite alone supposed to be waterproof?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 11:29

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

To stop hydraulic external water pressure
Install a land drain in pea shingle round the perimeter and create a manhole to pump the ground water out
Or if a main drain is allowed fit a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain
champdds
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently installing 17 x 30 gunite pool with tanning ledge off main pool

Postby champdds » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 12:22

Thank you- I assume my contractor is aware of this but has not mentioned doing anything about it - just told me that once pebble coating is in that it will be watertight bay that point- my concern was the external water is there and consequences of it
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 12:48

I would be concerned as well but if the inside pressure is greater than the outside pressure you're OK
When the outside pressure is greater then the hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain would equalise pressure or pumping out from the manhole would do the sme thing
champdds
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby champdds » Mon 15 Feb, 2021 13:15

This was before we pumped it out the first time...

pool forum 3.jpg
pool forum 3.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 528 times
pool forum 2.jpg
pool forum 2.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 528 times
pool forum 4.jpg
pool forum 4.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 528 times

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”