Pool floods: prevention and acceptance

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
jbone1313
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14k gallons, in-ground Pebble Fina, 3 horsepower Sta-rite INTELLIPRO VSF pump, 420 square feet Pentair CCP420 filter, AA in-floor cleaning system

Pool floods: prevention and acceptance

Postby jbone1313 » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 13:17

Hi folks,

I have already done a lot of forum searching and reading on this topic. :)

We built our pool in 2019. In July 2020, we got three inches of rain in one hour, and our pool flooded. After working with our builder and another contractor, we cleaned up the pool, and aside from a light brown ring at the bottom, the pool is fine now.

We did a lot of earthwork around the property to hopefully prevent another flood; however, we are still concerned another flood could happen, and we want to do as much as possible to have more assurance that we will not flood.

ASIDE from earthwork and retaining walls, what other options are there for preventing and dealing with pool flooding?

Could we possibly raise the pool coping? To me, this seems logical; we raise the coping like six inches or a foot, and then water cannot get in. Has anyone ever done that?

Another option is to accept that the pool floods and clean it up when it happens. I would not mind buying equipment to do that, but I do not want to drain the pool regularly, mainly because we live in the desert, and water is precious here. Side note: I am aware of the risks of draining a pool.

Are there people who have pools that flood regularly? How do you handle it? Do you have to drain your pool every time?

We have a Pentair cartridge filter. Can that be setup to "vacuum to waste?"

Really appreciate the support!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”