Vinyl liner 'alternative' repair

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Vinyl liner 'alternative' repair

Postby AussieSwimmer » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 08:11

Good morning everyone,

Another beautiful summer day beginning here in Silver Spring MD.

I had written in this sub-forum over a year ago about our pool liner having dropped in a few places as we did our first fresh fill of the pool (the pool had been abandoned when we purchased this house, and I made a supreme effort in rescuing it from mud pit, to fill-ready). The liner separated in places where I was unable to hammer in 'liner lock' - the plastic beading that SHOULD have been fitted when the liner had been installed. (my understanding is that the liner was fitted a year before our ownership, but that the pool was just left unattended, and it looks like the cover pump fell in and drained the pool at some point).

I have to give up on having a professional come and make these final fitting adjustments to the liner. After a year of asking everywhere I can think of, I have no responses at all. I don't see a 'DIY way' of doing this recovery of pool liner, so I thought of another idea : I have the cut-out piece from the pool steps installation, and it's enough material to simply carefully match and glue pieces to fit over the top in each case. Does anyone have experience of this (novel?) approach? I have no experience with this type of material handling/glueing, but at the least, my approach is simple. And I think if I do a good job of matching patterns, it may actually be a fairly invisible repair.

It would probably be wise to pump down far enough to give me a margin with which to clean and prep the surface for the attachment of the patch. And it occurs to me that installing a build up piece on the inside of the liner would provide the opportunity to better match the profile of the existing liner wall/provide additional material support (I could find any scrap vinyl liner pieces for that, pattern irrelevant).

I won't be surprised if I get no replies, based on my difficulty in moving on this issue. But I will post a follow-up with my outcome.

Grant.
Attachments
IMG_7946.jpg
IMG_7946.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 611 times
IMG_7932.jpg
IMG_7932.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 611 times
IMG_7933.jpg
IMG_7933.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 611 times

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Vinyl liner 'alternative' repair

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 08:58

Pool looks good and the height of the patch shouldn't cause any problems with leaks
I have no knowledge of pool liners but google "patching a vinyl pool liner" and there is a lot of info
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Postby AussieSwimmer » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 10:40

Thanks Dennis, and by the way the Taylor TF100 kit is excellent. :-)

My old test kit is already listed on eBay for sale.

Grant.
24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 11:16

I had an Aquachek TruTest meter which I just sold on eBay

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”