swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
joedroid78
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Not built yet

Fiberglass pool / competitive swimming question

Postby joedroid78 » Sun 05 Sep, 2021 08:25

I'm looking to install a fiberglass pool in my backyard. My sons are doing competitive swimming and as they grow up, I want to make sure the pool will accommodate their off-season practices. Im attracted towards the less maintenance/heating/chemical efficiency aspect of a fiberglass pool. But I'm not sure whether it can withstand repeated angry flip turns from strong teenagers? Anyone have any thoughts on that. I also see that my choices are very limited when it comes to fiberglass pool with enough depth and good swim lanes. But, thats a different discussion. I couldn't find any revelant information on this, so appreciate any thoughts you can share.
Thank you, Joel

RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Re: Fiberglass pool / competitive swimming question

Postby RonPace » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 11:25

I am not a pool construction expert, other than I have been where you are at! I installed a polyester/grp/fibreglass pool at my last house.

Correctly installed, they are brilliant and will take any amount of side, back or any which way flips! The only thing they will not take are sharp blows from anything metal - ie, they are the same as a yacht hull.

Size is your problem. Unless you have one made on site, you will not find an off the shelf one that is good for competitive swimming or wide enough with several lanes. You must appreciate that the ready made polyester pool market is generally for domestic requirements where an instant pool without any fuss is required.

Sorry, but I think you are into a liner type pool.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”