Top of Fiberglass pool walls folding in

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
TigerTeacher
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground fiberglass pool, approximately 12x24. We are second owners and think it was installed in the early 1990s.

Top of Fiberglass pool walls folding in

Postby TigerTeacher » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 15:25

We are the second owners of a home with a rectangular fiberglass pool from the late 1990s. We noticed today that the top of the walls on the long sides appear to be folding in. We assume this is a foundation problem as the pool deck /cement appears to be lifting around the edges. Is this something that can be repaired? How expensive is something like this?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Top of Fiberglass pool walls folding in

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 03:23

Cost wise I can't help as its your local labour.
Is it common, to a degree yes, some setling over the years causes a barreling on some glass fibre pools and more commonly on steel pools. Sometimes shortcuts on the backfill are to blame sometimes its movement from compaction because they re used the spoil from the dig.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 06:08

With a fibre glass pool it is normally backfilled with sand but only as the water rises inside the pool to create equilibrum
TigerTeacher
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground fiberglass pool, approximately 12x24. We are second owners and think it was installed in the early 1990s.

Postby TigerTeacher » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 19:40

Thank you for your responses. We are in the process of contacting a pool company to address the issues. I look at this and see dollar signs floating around and possibly the pool scene from the movie Poltergeist as my pool falls apart. I feel certain I will be coming back here for your input as we start hearing proposals.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”