Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
cwhgop
I'm new here
I'm new here

ICF, Steel or Polymer Wall

Postby cwhgop » Tue 21 Dec, 2021 22:12

I am looking to have someone put in a pool for me and I have contacted three companies for quotes. The first company uses steel walls, the second uses polymer walls and the third company uses ICF which stands for Insulated Concrete Forms. Let me first say that I know nothing about pools and when I speak with each installer they insist their walls are the best and reasons why not to get with the other guy. I have tried doing some research online but still having trouble. I was hoping some people on here can give me an unbiased opinion on what they would put in if they were looking at putting a pool in at their house.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: ICF, Steel or Polymer Wall

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 30 Dec, 2021 03:37

Morning, I have built pools using all of those techniques.
There should be a big difference in price which may have an overall effect on your decision.
Steel, leaks heat unless insulated so heating costs are higher or swim season shorter. You can suffer from the walls barrelling over time as settlement and ground movement, this can be improved with the use of good backfill and not the spoil from the excavation.
Polymer, still needs insulation and depending on the backfill can also suffer from deformation of the walls.
ICF, already has the insulation at a high level, homogeneous pour means an incredibly strong structure. If you watch building programs on youtube etc youll see ICF used for basements of buildings and then its protected with a self adhesive wrap, seldom used but that is the correct way to build also using a weather bar joint on the floor to wall junction.

Hope that helps
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”