Seeking advice on pool equipment/plumping based on attached design

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
geekox86
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1- The main pool section (31.2m3 / 8242gal) ends with an infinity edge (i.e. a short waterfall) into the front pool section;
2- The front pool (1.65m3 / 436gal) overflows into the overflow channel (1m3 / 264gal);
3- The balance tank (6m3 / 1585gal) is less then 1m / 3.3ft from the edge of the overflow channel.

Seeking advice on pool equipment/plumping based on attached design

Postby geekox86 » Sun 09 Jan, 2022 10:16

We are in the stage of signing with a pool contractor.

I have some concerns regarding the contractor's recommendations with regards to the following:
1- Number and size (e.g. 2", 2.5", 3", or 4") of the overflow channel drains (i.e. by gravity) [contractor's recommendation: 2x2.5" only];
2- Kind and size (i.e. horsepower) of pool pump [contractor's recommendation: Pentair SuperFlo 2HP];
3- Number of water supply outlets [contractor's recommendation: 8 only];
4- Ability to group electric junction boxes along the pool fence [contractor's recommendation: separate for and directly above each lighting unit].

What is your recommendation on the above points?

The last thing that I want is to have the water from the overflow channel to spills into the garden with every person jumping into the main pool. Also, I am worried if the pool pump can filter the water from both the pool and the waterfall.

Our pool is an outdoor infinity/overflow pool in a harsh weather with the following spec summary:
1- The main pool section (31.2m3 / 8242gal) ends with an infinity edge (i.e. a short waterfall) into the front pool section;
2- The front pool (1.65m3 / 436gal) overflows into the overflow channel (1m3 / 264gal);
3- The balance tank (6m3 / 1585gal) is less then 1m / 3.3ft from the edge of the overflow channel and less than 8m / 26ft from the equipment/pump room;
4- We would like also to connect the pool filtration system with our fence waterfall (less than 5m / 17ft wide and less than 3m / 10ft high) if possible.

The full design can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hT2YRW ... sp=sharing

Thank you all!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Seeking advice on pool equipment/plumping based on attached design

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 03:50

So far looks ok from the design. No mention of filtration size or type? What is the designed flow rate?
Because of the efficiency of infinity edge to clear leaves and dirt before it sinks you do not generally need a high flow rate so I would be specifying a variable speed pump, with a flow meter (FlowViz) for tuning of the flow to maximise efficiency whilst minimising electricity. That allows you to set a flow suitable for powering your waterfall and far less when not. Personally I would have a separate small pump independent of the filtration circuit to run the waterfall whilst you maintain maximum filtration efficiency. Are you heating the pool as heating an infinity edge pool is harder and with a waterfall harder still to keep the water warm.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”