SOS!- Equipment below pool- plumbing issues

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
M0n3ypit
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k G. Gunite Pool, C. 1990, Original Plaster (starting to shale), Cover Pool Auto Cover ( new motor 2022), '90s Pentair variable Pump, Hayward Pleated Filter, Dolphin Robot

SOS!- Equipment below pool- plumbing issues

Postby M0n3ypit » Sun 17 Apr, 2022 19:16

Hey Everyone!
Our pool is up in Northern Indiana, we had a pipe burst at the retaining wall and are left with NO pool guys in town that will touch it. :( It was an ill thought out design, even the people that built the pool refused to fix it. I need help!

Layout... Gunite pool 5ft deep in-ground surrounded by concrete all sides, the land around it is on a riverbank but is supported by a massive tiered retaining wall, the equipment is 4 ft below the bottom of the pool. Effectively an above-ground pool as far as the equipment placement is concerned, but the pool is "in the ground". We have hired numerous people to winterize it, the last 4 winters the pipes have burst in new spots despite all efforts to prevent it.

This March the flex pipe from the main drain cracked before the valve, located at the edge of the opening into the retaining wall. The only way to access it is to cut into the wall :wtf: ..... so... if anyone has any ideas of how to go about fixing this I would be extremely grateful!!
Please send HELP!!

[ I also need help on what kind of pump to buy, I would love Solar... it costs $300-400m just to run our current pump for 8hrs a day. ]
( The house is a 1917 brick house that the previous owners, who installed the pool, destroyed in 1990 with their awful renovations, so it's comical that the pool was of ill design too.)

The cracked flex pipe is currently wrapped with a Fernco Power Wrap that I held in place for 30 minutes in 20-degree weather to prevent the entire pool from draining. There was just enough snow on the auto cover that the tracks ripped out of the concrete and fell in the pool :shock: :think: :problem: , so that was lovely. (That's repaired now $1500 later).

The pool was built in 1990, the plaster is original and in meh condition, newer tiles (2014 ish by previous owners), New filter because... the last one's valve cracked :roll:, the pump needs to be replaced this year.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: SOS!- Equipment below pool- plumbing issues

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 00:47

What size is the pool?
Do you need a main drain, they do very little if anything for water circulation or quality, My pool doesnt have one and I built it! 20 ish years ago.
What equipment have you got pump and filter and other odds and bits. Yes thats a lot of electricity and I might just be the person to help you. I built the lowest running cost pools, mine is only 12000 gallons but I only pay around £40 a season to run it.
Plug the main drain with a bung for now but look to permanently block it off.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: SOS!- Equipment below pool- plumbing issues

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 01:45

Images would help us understand your situation better

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”