Main drains or no main drains. We are installing a 16 by 32 inground pool.

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Finman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am installing a 16 by 32 diy inground pool

Main drains or no main drains. We are installing a 16 by 32 inground pool.

Postby Finman » Thu 28 Apr, 2022 18:32

We are installing a 16 by 32 in-ground pool as a diy project. We are getting ready to dig out the hopper area. I have already purchased the 2 main drains but I am not sure where to put them. The pool has a gradual slope from the shallow end to the deep end and the deep end is 6 ft deep. The Pool bottom is basically wedge shaped with no level area in deep end. Should I not install the drains at all or should I mount them in the slope or wall? I have noticed a lot of discussion about doing away with main drains but if it were not for the constant slope design I would install them because to me it makes since to have them. The pool will hold almost 17000 gallons of water.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Main drains or no main drains. We are installing a 16 by 32 inground pool.

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 23:48

Why to you does it make sense to have them? Whilst you have design issue with no flat bottom, why?
standing on a constant slope will be uncomfortable.
There is also your belief in main drains, I could go on saying why you dont need them but if you believe you do it would be a waste of my time.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Finman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am installing a 16 by 32 diy inground pool

Postby Finman » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 15:57

Actually I appreciate your answer. The pool at our ymca has a constant slope and it didn’t seem to be a problem to us. As far as the drains I have heard compelling discussion either way on them. This is our first pool and I am gathering information before we get to that part of the job so I can make at least an informed decision.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 03 May, 2022 12:48

https://youtu.be/0IOUGhuKkSM

I cant remember the name of the huge french water park with no main drains, like me I plumb them as inlets, actually I plumb them to do both switchable in and out if the customer insists on having them.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”