Main drain replacement on pool crete floored above ground pool.

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Rigg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round pool with main drain. salt water, DE filter, 1.5 hp pump on pool crete base.

Main drain replacement on pool crete floored above ground pool.

Postby Rigg » Sun 05 Jun, 2022 23:44

I am replacing my 24' round pool due to age and a leak in the main drain. The original pool was built with a pool crete floor and of course center drain is embedded in the pool crete. Can I cut out the drain and a channel to the side of the pool replace center drain and pipe and then reinstall new pool crete in the area I cut away?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Main drain replacement on pool crete floored above ground pool.

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 06 Jun, 2022 07:54

In theory yes, sometimes the base may crack as you relieve any stress built up over the years. Sometimes you have to replace more than you think and often I green up the old concrete so the new will bond better by washing the edges with acid. Please bare in mind I am not there and only sitting behind my pc.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Rigg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round pool with main drain. salt water, DE filter, 1.5 hp pump on pool crete base.

Postby Rigg » Mon 06 Jun, 2022 16:51

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to hire someone to do the repair for me and due to busy season have not had any luck. Was considering just filling the drain with pool crete and going without the main drain, since it seems like none of the local companies do them any more, but I really liked it. Was worried since I have little experience with pool floors that the concrete might split where I patched it once the liner and water were added.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 07 Jun, 2022 07:18

I dont have a main drain, no problem in 20 years. When clients requested them I plumbed them as inlets that could be valved to outlets if needed
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”