miscellaneous construction techniques.
tomb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pentair Variable Speed Pump
Jandy Filter
Nano Salt Cell System
AquaCal Pool Heater/Cooler
Pool built in 2016 is rectangle shaped with a sun deck (built in bubbler), square spa, and Jandy LED lighting tied into Aqualink Z4 with wifi.

SPA Drain Cover Screw Broken & Extraction Fail

Postby tomb » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 09:12

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the drain shown in the picture attached and if anyone knew if the plastic around the screw holes is solid? I want to use self taping screws to screw down new drain covers however do not want to create holes and cause a leak.

The screw snapped inside one of the original holes and I tried to use an tap/die extractor kit to get the screw out and the extractor broke off inside. The extractor bit is a harder material and the drill bit will not create a hole to use with another extractor bit. Hence why I am wondering if I would be able to just screw in a self taping screw without causing any issues or leaks?

Image of pool drain here: https://i.postimg.cc/GtWf1PXx/IMG-1653.jpg

Best,
Tom

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: SPA Drain Cover Screw Broken & Extraction Fail

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 13 Sep, 2022 01:49

I doubt it would cause a problem especially if you seal the thread. Screw them in, take them out and put a sealant on them
You might also consider taking that plug out and fitting a hydrostatic relief valve if you could have a high water table
tomb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pentair Variable Speed Pump
Jandy Filter
Nano Salt Cell System
AquaCal Pool Heater/Cooler
Pool built in 2016 is rectangle shaped with a sun deck (built in bubbler), square spa, and Jandy LED lighting tied into Aqualink Z4 with wifi.

Re: SPA Drain Cover Screw Broken & Extraction Fail

Postby tomb » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 18:40

ok thanks!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”