Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
FistedWaffle
I'm new here
I'm new here

"Hidden" Overflow pool channel information

Postby FistedWaffle » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 16:39

Im in the process of planning the construction of my first pool , and ive decided to go with an overflow pool .I would like to avoid those generic white plastic gratings for the overflow channel at all costs as they look absolutely ugly to me.So Ive been researching different types of overflow pools and overflow channels and the hidden overflow channels are by far my favorite such as the one on this link: https://www.alpentile.com/how-to-create-a-reflection-pool/ You can even images of the entire construction process there. Now the first question that pops up in my mind is: How in the world is this type of channel cleaned and maintained? Ive seen many examples of these pools and they all have permanent stones/tiles covering the channel. Taking apart the deck tiles in case of a clog or just to clean the channel would be pretty ridiculous right? Any info on these types of pools would be appreciated. :D

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: "Hidden" Overflow pool channel information

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 21 Dec, 2022 11:27

You are spot on! Very difficult to clean, often relying on jet washing whilst trying no to blast the dirt into the pool. No trees or shrubs near by, no water allowed to flood in.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
FistedWaffle
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby FistedWaffle » Wed 21 Dec, 2022 15:51

Teapot1 wrote:You are spot on! Very difficult to clean, often relying on jet washing whilst trying no to blast the dirt into the pool. No trees or shrubs near by, no water allowed to flood in.

Hmmm that sounds tedious :lol: Im definitely not going this route then , especially since its my first pool. I'll probably just go with removable stone gratings around the pool so it atleast looks a little better than the plastic ones.Im also thinking of maybe using regular plastic gratings and then covering them with pebble stones. :think:
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 02:54

Yep good idea, please pop back with some photos, have fun and fit a variable speed pump and decent sized filter with Dr Drydens Activate glass media AFM ng.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
FistedWaffle
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby FistedWaffle » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 17:51

Teapot1 wrote:Yep good idea, please pop back with some photos, have fun and fit a variable speed pump and decent sized filter with Dr Drydens Activate glass media AFM ng.

I sure will share photos when its done!(Hopefully by next summer). Thanks for the tips!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”