Pool equipment upgrade

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Pool equipment upgrade

Postby AussieSwimmer » Fri 02 Jun, 2023 20:19

I have already cut out and given away the last set of pool control equipment - ½ hp fixed speed motor, cartridge filter, broken Pool Pilot 'Total Control' system. I spent FAR more time than I should have, attempting to revive the prior owner's neglected control equipment. Always just one step away from getting it to work, for more than one day....

The new system needs to be matched to the 23,000 gal in-ground pool, vinyl liner, heavy leaf fall burden (will install safety cover later) and for a household where we can be away from home quite a lot.

I would like to choose a sand-based filter (perhaps one size over standard, to extend times between backwashes if sensible), variable speed pump with large strainer basket, reliable salt cell, and controller. The existing Schedule 40 pipe runs are all 2". I would like to add flow meter and backflow preventer somewhere before the pump inlet (not too close).

I would be interested in hearing people's recommendations and experience. Hayward has at least one or 2 VS speed models in the 1.5x hp range; haven't yet identified the differences between them.

I think I have mentioned this in a prior post - but on the East Coast (at least) it must be unusual to have customers calling only to pick up equipment that they will be installing themselves. I'm finding that I have to reach out to a LOT of businesses to find one willing to deal with me (and knowledgeable). (Our local 'Leslies' has several of the items I need, but the staff I have spoken to are proving to be pretty low key when it comes to providing product information - I think they just don't know). My preference was to buy local, pay the little extra, and have the pro help on hand if I needed to installation guidance along the way. I will just shop remote and have items shipped if in the end that's the only way to get this done.

The Hayward site gives me the impression that they're not really there to answer product questions (unless registered with them as a pro installer).

Looking forward to seeing about people's current experiences. I prefer to buy the best gear and trust that it will last significantly longer. The advantage of the DIY approach.

Have a great wekend...

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pool equipment upgrade

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 01:59

Is your pump above or below the pool waterline?
You could go with a larger filter but I find these harder to site as the room taken up can be quite big. I once installed a Pentair 1.4m filter, now I would not do that but would go for 2 smaller filters, these are easier to site and if you do the homework can give a larger filter surface area combined than a single large filter. Another advantage if you plumb them with individual gate valves is it takes a lot less to backwash each filter 1 at a time than it does to backwash 1 big filter.
Dont use sand, look at Dr Dryden's AFM activate glass media, preferably the AFM ng. This outperforms sand and is equal to DE but without the extra hassle and mess and higher replacement costs, also AFM is self sterilising so bacteria do not colonise on the surface. No more sand filter mudballing.
Yes to a variable speed pump, you only need high speed for backwash, 99.9% of the time you are in filtraton, slower filtration is better filtration and will save you a ton of money on electricity. Definitely get a flow meter, essential with a variable speed pump.
You dont need fancy control sustems when you get the basics right.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”