Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Debster
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

researching to buy an above ground pool

Postby Debster » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:20

I am in the process of researching a pool. I currently have the intex 8X30" and my kids are enjoying it (of course) but I could not believe I could enjoy it. It is definately too small.

I have decided on a 18' round pool. The depth is still being considered, either 48 or 54".

As I read through these posts I realize there is more to a pool then the pool and the filter and am getting confused. I want to use the liquid clhlorine to take care of it so the equipment should be able to use this.

I am thinking aluminum instead of metal.
Not sure what filter to use?
the chlorinator I saw on here looks interesting
cover
do I need to get anything else?

I am a single mom and want to get close to the best, I do not want to have to redo the pool in a long time. Being a single mom I do not want to go into a place and get bamboozled out of my money. :evil:

I have heard that people in my area use orange county pools in Carmel NY. Anyone heard of them?

thanks in advance for any replies/advise
Deb

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 09:50

Carmel?! Wow...we are practically neighbors Deb, I'm also in Putnam Co. Any pool can use liquid chlorine...water is water.

Personally, I would go with the deeper pool. It's only 6 inches, but it will make a big difference. I would also shy away from beaded liners and just get a good ole' overlap, but thats me. Easier to replace down the road. I would also get a sand filter (my preference) as they are easy to use and relatively free to maintain compared to DE or cartridges. Opinions will vary. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Debster
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debster » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:38

Howdy Neighbor!!! :lol:

I am actually in Fishkill but a few people I spoke to use this company in Carmel. One of my good friends lives in Putnam county. I was actually looking there for a place but Fishkill won out. (taxes)

Thanks for the advice. a neighbor had said beaded but I really do not know the differance, will have to look into it. Easier to replace in the future sounds like a benefit though.

thanks
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:30

Not really sure if you were asking for a place to buy and have them install it or a DIY kit. The online site where I purchased my pool was www<dot>sunenterprises<dot>com/abovegroundpools.htm. I wanted to get a good quality pool that would last a long time. I did a little research before buying a pool and found their prices were pretty good compared to other sites and the pool had nice features like wider top rails, 25 mil liner, 3 choices of packages, 2 HP pump, good warranties, sand filter etc. I got the Diamond Star Premium package which comes with pool light, winter and solar covers, and auto pool cleaner. It was delivered within 5 days. The kit comes with basically everything you need with the exception of chemicals and filter media (and water of course). Bottom Pad, wall foam, coving, SW chlorine generator, ladder pad were all extra but worth it. Not sure how much you wanted to spend but my wife and I now have a 27' AG Round self-installed for under $5K (after adding electricity, timer, and other accessories). A local company was gonna charge us $14K to install a smaller pool. Hope this helps.
Debster
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debster » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:25

Thanks Litoq

I am thinking of having it installed, but I am beginning torealize it is more than I anticipated. I may need to save up for it. :(
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:35

Debster wrote:Thanks Litoq

I am thinking of having it installed, but I am beginning torealize it is more than I anticipated. I may need to save up for it. :(

Deb, check the Hudson Valley Craig's List. I have seen several above ground pools for sale, cheap. You could have a nice pool for the price of a new liner.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
gerald payton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gerald payton » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:40

i'm new here and new to pools but if money is an issue (and for most of us it is)the intex soft side 18-48 for usually 299.00 has given us a great summer.two grand kids 3,5 learned to swim.The three yr old only after we got wise and reduced the water level to where he felt safe with feet touching the bottom .little shallow for us but now he swims and we can put the level up.Absolutly if you get this find someone with a bobcat to LEVEL the site
the first summer my pool was lopsided cost me 100 for the cat another 100 for the white rocks and pavers and the small wall of decking wood i wanted to build just for esthetics. so for 500 or so we have had a great timegot the grands water safe, exercise for us oldies and seen our children and grands all summer.Sure i'd luv to spend 80000 on a backyard paradise but i cant and it couldn't be a llot more fun and family time than we have had since the site is already there im going to get a spare pool so when this on dies and it will i'll be ready to save the day i was really reluctant to think for this small amount you could have fun but if the waters clean and it is 4 or 5 adults and several small children can have a wonderful time on a hot summer day you dont have to spend a fortune if the kids are small to deep can cut the fun :wink:
GP in NC AG 18buy4

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”