swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

UPDATE...sort of...

Postby juno1996 » Sun 02 Mar, 2008 16:50

http://cid-af9adea4a06b12db.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/March%2002

Above is a link to today's pictures (March 2, 2008). Excavation started October 25, 2007.

Just need the deck, plaster & retractable pool cover installed.

To view, cut and paste the above to your address bar and remove the "[URL]" at the front and end.

k. tayor

blue haveb pool

Postby k. tayor » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 10:18

we are interested in putting in a bhp this spring 2008, we live in greenwood, in. and would like to know how your overall experience has been thus far. would you recommend them to build your pool again.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Recommendation

Postby juno1996 » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 15:23

Well, let me put it this way - I've paid over 90% of the contract price & it has taken WAY longer than I was told and, like my posts state, the pool layout (or dig) was so far off from where we were told it should go that the concrete deck is going to encroach on a fenced in formal garden area...causing it to be oddly shaped (instead of square).

I've asked Mike & Denise Rutherford for a reasonable credit for the garden reconfiguration but it's been a month & haven't received an answer.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Pool Deck Update

Postby juno1996 » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 21:20

With Spring & warm weather returning, we're finally seeing some real work done on the pool. J&S Concrete has done a rough excavation & completed the concrete pool deck.

Photos can be seen at [http://cid-af9adea4a06b12db.spaces.live.com/default.aspx]

Overall, we're quite pleased with the pool deck itself - nice job J&S Concrete.

I was a bit ticked that our contract had specified pumped concrete (typically an add'l $500-$700 charge by a concrete supplier). (Well, at the time, Tony said it was a $1,200 charge but look, he's a sales guy.) Anyway, the subcontractor carted it in with his bobcat and saved the money...well, my money. However, when I spoke with Denise Rutherford of Blue Haven Pools of Indianapolis, she said I will receive the credit since they didn't have to pay the add'l cost.

UPDATE (April 7, 2008): We were credited $400 for the pumped concrete.

Our pool supervisor, Tom Hale, said J&S will install perforated drainage lines around a section of the pool (required because of the pool mislocation) but when it came time to do the work, the contractor didn't have the necessary stone, landscape fabric nor had he been paid to do the work...not wanting him to simply bury perforated drain pipe in the mud, I told him to let me handle it - jeez.

The relocation/reconfiguration remains an open item. I'm scheduling landscape designers to come out the week after next to figure out what to do - we've gone from a very square English garden with square sections to, well, a somewhat mishapen one. I have yet to see how this will be resolved.

Thanks for those who have contacted me - I appreciate your comments. I'll continue to provide updates.
rougy

blue haven pools

Postby rougy » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 17:26

I am also getting ready to install a spa in my yard. Blue haven has been selected by my landscape architect. I am concerned, as I have heard mixed reviews, and have been told to check BBB. I would appreciate any info/comments. Also any other pool contractors that are reputable, with good references would be greatly appreciated.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Reply to rougy

Postby juno1996 » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:31

You should find another pool company to do your work.

They once received a BBB award several years ago which hung in their office as of 2007. My understanding is that the Indianapolis BBB has requested BHP to return the award which they hadn't.

Check Angie's List - that's a better source of infomation anyway.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Update: April 18, 2008

Postby juno1996 » Fri 18 Apr, 2008 20:44

April 18, 2008: Warm weather has returned. It was sunny and in the 70's yesterday and today. We're looking forward to the plaster crew showing to finish the interior of our pool! The electrical work and cover need to be installed as well.

Denise Rutherford visited a week ago last Monday and we agreed on a resolution to the garden/fence issue. I'm pleased to see BHP is willing to recognize an error was made and negotiate a "fair enough" credit to offset some of our landscape that will need to be re-worked. Denise also agreed that BHP will re-install the fence in a new location.

A contractor is supposed to be sent out to re-grade a section of our lawn where an irrigation box was buried and the concrete contractor spread 1-2 feet of soil around a large maple tree, essentially suffocating the root system.

As long as we see the remaining work is done as soon as possible (I gotta believe we're first in line at this point), I'd say things are still going slow but improving.

We'll provide another update next weekend.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

UPDATE: May 9th

Postby juno1996 » Fri 09 May, 2008 19:13

Things are really moving along now. Since the last update, the plaster was finished and pool filled (took about 30 hours with 2 hoses going). The autocover was installed and finished yesterday. The diving board base was installed and now we just need the board bolted on. We're glad (relieved?) to see the major work has been finished. Except for a broken tile on our shallow end stairs, the tile & plaster job seems to have been done well.

Even though we expected cracks in the concrete deck, we were hoping they'd now show up for at least until the Fall/Winter. Unfortunately, we have 3 hairline cracks...but it is concrete and concrete cracks.

Our punchlist has shortened and now includes:

1) Finish install of diving board
2) Reinstall garden fence
3) Paint remaining PVC pipes
4) Label fuses in fuse box
5) Install chlorinator (our pool school teacher said it was missing)
6) Building department inspection (Final)
7) Install switch plate on cleaner switch
8 ) Removal of blue plaster quartz that the plaster crew dumped in our backyard.

If anyone is interested in a recent picture...
[http://cid-af9adea4a06b12db.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!AF9ADEA4A06B12DB!121/]
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Update on May 19, 2008

Postby juno1996 » Mon 19 May, 2008 22:29

Time for an update...

We're waiting on:

1) Finish install of diving board (Done - see below)
2) Reinstall garden fence (100% complete - finished in September, 2008 but read my "FINAL STRAW" post at the end.
3) Paint remaining PVC pipes Done.
4) Label fuses in fuse box Done.
5) Install chlorinator (our pool school teacher said it was missing) Done.
6) Building department inspection (Final) THE POOL INSPECTION FAILED on 5/19/08 - an inspector from the town's building department states the diving board does not extend out far enough from the pool side...it violates the pool manufacturer association's code. By the end of the month, the inspector allowed BHP to remove the diving board which allowed him to grant a temporary permit (allowing us to swim in the pool). In August 2008, Denise Rutherford went to the state board and successfully petitioned for a variance which allowed us to re-install the board. (Done.)
7) Install switch plate on cleaner switch. Done. Thinking the building inspector was going to show up last Friday, I did it myself.
8 ) Removal of blue plaster quartz that the plaster crew dumped in our backyard. Done.

Here are new punchlist items:

9) While spray-painting our above-ground PVC pipes, the plumbers oversprayed black spray paint onto our $5,200 heat pump and porch clapboards. The paint needs to be removed or the heat pump cover panel replaced. The plumbing crew clean it up...good enough.

10) Air has been entering the pump and collecting in the filter - to a level above normal. The plumber crew stopped by today and the said they'll need to have the system pressurized and, assuming there's a leak, have it repaired. Done.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

May 24, 2008 UPDATE: [color=red]Day 261[/color]

Postby juno1996 » Sat 24 May, 2008 17:13

Here's a list of open items that need to be addressed:

1) Finish install of diving board (BHP was out yesterday to remove the diving board so the Town would grant a 2-week approval on the pool. This will allow us to swim for 2 weeks.)

2) Reinstall garden fence (75% complete - posts and panels have been installed but hardware is missing. BHP will finish installation when parts have arrived.)

3) Chlorinator was installed but there's a constant ring of moisture around unit - appears to be leaking. BHP to be contacted.

4 ) Removal of blue plaster quartz that the plaster crew dumped in our backyard. I mistakenly thought this was done but it wasn't. I gave up and moved the stuff.

5) While reviewing the product literature on our Ozonator, it became clear there was a missing part (safety air release kit) that allows air to escape from the filter. I contacted BHP and our project manager will need to come out and install it. (It helps to read the installation manual.) Hopefully this will address the air build-up issue.

A couple new items....

6) While swimming today, I noticed the light is completely loose from its bracket - it appears the plaster crew set the light in place but never screwed it in.

7) Our skimmer swing door was left by the side of the pool but never installed. While swimming today, I went to put it in place but the bracket holes were filled in w/ plaster. I left BHP a voicemail, asking them to come out and install it as it should have been done in the first place.

Well, that's it. I'll leave another update next Saturday. Maybe there won't be anything left??
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Latest update - August 1, 2008

Postby juno1996 » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 20:43

It's been awhile and realized I haven't provided an update recently.

Believe or not, BHP still has some punchlist items to go. They are seeking a code variance with the State of Indiana over the diving board placement (BHP says it's fine, the Town says the end isn't extending out far enough). In the meantime, the diving board has been laying off to the side...3 or 4 months now.

BHP ordered replacement fence parts for our fence (the guys that moved the fence didn't keep track of the parts). The parts arrived over a week ago. I called the office again this afternoon to see when they'll be re-attaching the fence hardware but I didn't receive a call yet.

We signed our contract with BHP of Indianapolis on September 6, 2007. In some strange way I feel like I'll be lucky if we have our project done within a year.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:40

We're approaching the 1 year anniversary of the contract signing...the diving board was installed in the original positon after BHP applied and received a code variance.

The open items for BHP to still address are:

1) Complete the fence relocation.
2) Replace broken tiles (this will be done once the pool is closed for the season).
gregg

BHP

Postby gregg » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 17:59

Before we bought a pool I did some research on the web and time after time builders like BHP and Anthony Sylvan would show up as nightmare builders.
I chose to use small family owned type builders and settled on a one man show whos business was 90% referrals. The guy had us swimming in less than 3 weeks from digging the hole. He was digging the hole the day after the bank issued the first check. There was no punch list or issues. Cant understand why people go with these big firms when there is so much negative customer feedback. Are there no small pool builders in your area?
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:39

With any large construction project, it's always a good idea to do some research.

Prior to signing, I did some research on Google and found numerous complaints. When raising my discovery w/ our sales guy, he explained they do hundreds of pools each year and they had horrible weather in the prior year - so "naturally" there'd be a handful of complaints.

My BIG MISTAKE was not speaking with former LOCAL customers and checking Angie's List (the online reference site) or the BBB. (BHP of Indianapolis gets "taken out to the wood shop" on those sites.)

Only w/ those sources would I have discovered their notoriously horrible customer service and construction issues. There are some BITTER former customers and, unfortunately for me, I understand why.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Update

Postby juno1996 » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 20:21

It's been about 4 months since the final punchlist items were completed (the last one being the replacement of cracked tiles after the pool was drained).

In conclusion, BHP is the worse company/service/contractor I've EVER dealt with. If you read this post and still hire them, YOU ARE A FOOL!

I spoke with Denise Rutherford WHEN SHE CALLED AND SAID SHE'D SEND US AN ITEM FROM THEIR POOL CATALOG IF I'D PUT A MORE POSITIVE SPIN ON THIS FORUM. THAT, FRIENDS, IS THE TYPE OF OUTFIT BHP of INDIANAPOLIS IS!!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”