swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
JDling
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can you tile over tile?

Postby JDling » Sun 17 Feb, 2008 14:28

Hi,

I'm renovating my tiled pool and would like to know if it is possible to tile over the existing tile? The majority of the existing tiles look to be in okay condition - just very dated - and the odd one has a hairline crack. But generally they are very well stuck down.

If I run an angle grinder over the old tiles to rough them up will the new ones be fine on top? The new tiles are mosiac tile sheets and each one will cover several of the old ones.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff

geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Can you tile over tile?

Postby geeman » Sun 17 Feb, 2008 19:52

I would not advise doing this. I think you probably realize that it's a bad idea too or you wouldn't be asking. Think about the following points; The crack through your tile probably means you also have a few coping stones that need to be reset first. Your new tile is only going to last as long as the older tile underneath it was going to last anyway. Tile won't stay on a pool forever either because of coping issues or just age, let's say 15 years is average. If the tile you plan to cover is already 10 years old then the new tile may only last 5 years. Cleaning the existing tile and scoring marks in it would probably take as long as knocking off the old tile and browncoating (the right way) before installing the new tile and it will last a whole lot longer. If you're going to retile, use the best materials and methods possible.
JDling
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can you tile over tile?

Postby JDling » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:53

Thanks for the reply. Good point about the lifetime about the tile - that wasn't something I had taken into consideration. Like you say as well removing the old tile will also allow me to see if there are any problems underneath. I'm going to remove the old ones. Thanks again.

Jeff
dale b

Can you tile over tile?

Postby dale b » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 09:02

I have tiled over existing tile at the water line, the old tile was in good shape only dated. Warning .. I used clear silicone but only a thin layer not to get in the way of the new grout, This was done 8 years ago and I don't see any problems. When the grout was compleat even I can't see the difference.
Dale Boulder, Arizona Desert
dale b

Can you tile over tile?

Postby dale b » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 13:05

check compatibility first. try one tile and silicone to your old tile, the following day you will be able to decide
dale b
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Can you tile over tile?

Postby czechmate » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 11:03

I was asking the same question couple of years ago when re-plastering the pool.
Answer is simple. If you felt it us a normal approved procedure you would not look for approval. The simple answer is: Do not spend time and money on something that should last at least 10-15 years doing this shortcut.
That is if you are doing this for your self and not for resale.
Anything that is underwater in harsh chlorinated environment should be done by the proper approved method.
I installed my own tile, which required jackhammering of the old, putting extra layer of S type mortar for built-up required to accommodate new plaster thickness.
It is a hard work and to get to waterline from the deep requires makeshift scaffolding. But it paid me 1500.00 for labor and it is done the right way.
The choice is yours, but it falls in the category of paying now, or paying even more later.
Dale B

Can you tile over tile?

Postby Dale B » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 12:36

As far as tile over tile. This was done as a quick fix for a sale. This was my mothers home and now mine. I used grout that included sealer with stain resist. I have been in t.he pool business for 23 years and never expected the results to be this good. I will replace these tiles when I gunite my pool but it did change a pool that appeared to need updating to a look that I'm pleased with. Again it has been 8 years and look great
Ednamae

Can you tile over tile?

Postby Ednamae » Sat 18 Oct, 2014 16:03

Would never have thought to use silicone. I am considering epoxy grout that also can be used to set tile. I know it isnt how it is usually done, but my tile is very well set but ugly,. It would be stupid to rip it all out if it is a suitable substrate...and I believe it is. And epoxy is very strong, as well as impervious to water--ceg-lite grout is labeled for use in pools. I would worry about the flexibilty of silicone and the grout moving and cracking, but nothing sticks to cured silicone so i guess it would act like a floating monolith.
kowgirl

Re: Can you tile over tile?

Postby kowgirl » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 18:25

I would be interested in tiling over the existing pool tile. I see that one Dan B did it successfully. I am concerned about the thickness. If I were to put a tile on top, it would stick out farther than the plaster on the pool. Did you have that problem Dan?
kowgirl

Postby kowgirl » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 18:26

I would be interested in tiling over the existing pool tile. I see that one Dale B did it successfully. I am concerned about the thickness. If I were to put a tile on top, it would stick out farther than the plaster on the pool. Did you have that problem Dale?
trinity
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Postby trinity » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 04:24

I put handmade mosaic tiles a year ago and it sticks. I created small line and made an inside border because design :D My wife insisted so i had no choise. Nevertheless, i have no bad feelings to recommend silicone as a method to place one on another.
krupkin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby krupkin » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 13:11

can you tell me what brand of silicone I need to adhere tile to tile?
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 03:13

Most people opt for this option now days. It helps to avoid the huge job of tearing out the old tiles.
pedro12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pedro12 » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 00:24

Well, I agree with the most of the replies here also if you installed it anyway, new tiles would deteriorate soon and it will be more expensive to install new tiles later again.
Karenletts
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am wanting to til over my old tile around the top of the pool, the old tile is about 40 years old and has no more shine to it and no color, its down to it looks like concrete, what kind of sealer or silicone would work after it dries under water, I have drained the pool under the tile line and have let the old tile dry out for 2 days

re: tile over tile, what brand or kind of silicone

Postby Karenletts » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 08:44

dale b wrote:I have tiled over existing tile at the water line, the old tile was in good shape only dated. Warning .. I used clear silicone but only a thin layer not to get in the way of the new grout, This was done 8 years ago and I don't see any problems. When the grout was compleat even I can't see the difference.
Dale Boulder, Arizona Desert

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”