Can you tile over tile?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
trinity
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Re: Can you tile over tile?

Postby trinity » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 04:24

I put handmade mosaic tiles a year ago and it sticks. I created small line and made an inside border because design :D My wife insisted so i had no choise. Nevertheless, i have no bad feelings to recommend silicone as a method to place one on another.

krupkin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby krupkin » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 13:11

can you tell me what brand of silicone I need to adhere tile to tile?
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 03:13

Most people opt for this option now days. It helps to avoid the huge job of tearing out the old tiles.
pedro12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pedro12 » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 00:24

Well, I agree with the most of the replies here also if you installed it anyway, new tiles would deteriorate soon and it will be more expensive to install new tiles later again.
Karenletts
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am wanting to til over my old tile around the top of the pool, the old tile is about 40 years old and has no more shine to it and no color, its down to it looks like concrete, what kind of sealer or silicone would work after it dries under water, I have drained the pool under the tile line and have let the old tile dry out for 2 days

re: tile over tile, what brand or kind of silicone

Postby Karenletts » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 08:44

dale b wrote:I have tiled over existing tile at the water line, the old tile was in good shape only dated. Warning .. I used clear silicone but only a thin layer not to get in the way of the new grout, This was done 8 years ago and I don't see any problems. When the grout was compleat even I can't see the difference.
Dale Boulder, Arizona Desert

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”