new liner installed OVER existing light assembly

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
dustbunnysgone2

Postby dustbunnysgone2 » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:17

I think the previous owner tried a quick fix and covered up the lamp with the new liner last year. I guess the cost factor involving a new bulb or fixture itself caused this decision. Any ideas on what may be involved in getting a working lamp back in my in ground? All the calls I made to Pros want me to change the liner in order for me to have a light in the pool.

Thanks in advance.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

New liner installed OVER existing light assembly

Postby Me... » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:42

For a liner guy it should not be too much problem to cut out the light hole and fix it up however .............

Possibly the light niche leaked like a sieve. Cutting in the light would then recreate the problem which could be a lot more expensive to fix.
Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

New liner installed OVER existing light assembly

Postby Vinyl Master » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 22:07

It shouldn't be a big deal to cut in the light. I would think there is a reason why the light wasn't cut in. I would think there is probably a crack in the light housing or a leak in the conduit. To replace most lights you need to cut threw the concrete deck and dig down to get to the light housing behind the wall. If you are selling a house and don't want to spend any more money than you need to the pool contractor would of installed the liner as if the light was never there.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:08

The way I would do it would be to lower the water to 1 or 2 inches in the shallow end. Take the liner out of the extrusion in the deep end and hang over the edge behind the liner and take the light out from behind. Its a new liner so you can really do a lot of things with them. After the light is out hang back in there and inspect the niche for potting or cracks....if its fine I would figure out what the light itself needs to be in working order, fix that, put the light face plate back on the front of the niche (on the outside of the liner), cut out the hole in the liner, and reinstall the light while wedging plenty of pool puddy in the condiut along with the wire. You could also use one of those rubber light wire stoppers but I presfer good old fashioned puddy.

If the niche is damaged you could either replace it with a quick niche or use puddy on that as well....keep in mind puddy is a bandaide, not a fix so you'll have to redo the job every 2 years or so. Inside the conduit puddy seems to last longer.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”